Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Too cold to use batteries?

Started by DeanBurford ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Too cold to use batteries?

2 posts
  1. People

     

    I have an a80 Canon and housing

     

    Dived in 4 deg centigrade but the camemra woudl not work. says that batteries need chraging but they were fully charged before the dive.

     

    When I got out of the water the camera a was fine and could take pictures.

     

    The housing is water tight.

     

    Do I need different batteries due to the water temp?

     

    Anyother ideas?

     

    ty

     

    Deano

  2. Hi,

     

    While I've not been to 4C, I have been in 8C water with my Canon A80 with the Canon enclosure and it worked fine. I too use rechargables (Rayovac NiMH) and even though I wasn't in as cold of water I was under for over an hour with the camera and it worked fine (usually the problem with these cameras is overheating in the water if you use the flash a lot so they're normally self-heating). I'd take a look at your batteries though. You didn't say how long you've had them or how many times they've been charged. I'm sure that the cold played a factor in the operation of them and maybe it was just too much for a set of old batteries. If you have a newer set, you might experiment with putting your camera in a sink with ice water (make sure you have on thermo protection) and test your camera again. It may have been just a fluke or the batteries may be at the end of their recharge life.

     

    Hope this helped,

    Randall

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.