Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Back from Raja Amphat

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Back from Raja Amphat

7 posts
  1. Got back yesterday and still am dealing with the 14 hours of time change but actually at work.

     

    The trip with Adventure Komodo and National Geographic was an absolute pleasure. The boat is second to none for food service. Still wondering who at the office can get me my daily espresso. Was also nice to complete your night dive and have one of the crew waiting with a glass of wine. I'm spoiled now!

     

    David Doubilet and Jen Hayes are outstanding people and an absolute pleasure to spend time with. I consider them good friends now. Conservation International Mark Erdmann was a wealth of knowledge and a huge plus to have on board. It was also great to meet Wetpixel member Robert Delfs and share in some of his knowledge on the Komodo area and his work with it also. I felt very inadequate when it came to history on the area and the marine life. I just kept my mouth shut at the dinner table conversations and listened and learned. Larry Smith was a great guide and did extremely well at juggling a ever changing trip schedule. Something most boats would not do. Kudos Larry. Cary Yanny who owns and runs Ecodivers was a sweetheart and I was sorry to see she could only spend 10 of the days with us.

     

    The diving is plentiful and diverse, well beyond what I had envisioned.

     

    As for photos, I have editted a grand total of 2 photos so they may be slow in coming and sporatic. I know Robert editted daily and has many beautiful shots to display. He also tried out some new techniques that I told him he should share his experience on with the Wetpixel community also when he gets a chance. He is very busy with his work right now but hopefully he will get a little time to impart his thoughts.

     

    Thank you very much to all on board for a memorable trip of a lifetime!

    Edited by yahsemtough
  2. Sounds outstanding Todd! ANd what a pleasure to be on board with such a great variety of people!

     

    Will definitely be looking out for the pics..

     

    Did you rub Larry's belly for luck every morning?? :)

  3. Where did this trip go To and from ? Sorong to ? Gunung Api? Komodo?. Thanks ahead for the details. Mark

  4. The trip departed to and from Sorong. It encompassed a large area of Raja Amphat which I am not sure the 14 day trip could.

  5. Todd,

    I'm going there in 5 weeks. Can you tell me what were your favorite sites.

    Thank you

    Sylvie

  6. That is a tough question.

     

    Many of the sites we did were so different that they had an appeal all unto them self. I really could not pick one as each held different critters and aspects. I know you will not be disappointed. There are so many sites that we barely touched on them all. Because we dove south and north I think that was part of the difference in sites.

  7. Welcome back. That is my dream trip, someday. I know Frogfish has been to Raja Ampat before and perhaps he'll post some of the site names for us. Indonesia is fascinating top and bottom!

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.