Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shooting low ISO action shots

Started by shaun64326 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting low ISO action shots

4 posts
  1. If I set a digital camera to 50 or 100 ISO, the shutter speed to like 1/1000 of a second and the apertures to like 2.8 or even 4 could I take a photo of someone moving fast on a surfboard without the surfer or wave being blurry and being nice and sharp?

  2. Maybe. It depends on how fast images are moving in the frame.

     

    I routinely shoot sports at 1/1000, like football or basketball. Baseball, though, will result in a smeared ball at that speed.

     

    So if there's a modicum of panning with the action, your subject will be sharp for sure. With a pretty wide angle lens at surfer speeds, you should be okay as far as a tack background.

     

    At an airshow recently I used a remote camera, on a tabletop tripod, underneath a ribbon pickup (where an aerobatic airplane flys by and picks up a ribbon between two poles). With a closing speed of about 110 mph, the aircraft was not quite tack sharp at 1/2000 with a 14mm.

     

    All the best, James

  3. Assuming of course all objects are in focus. Duh. I was refering specifically to motion smear.

     

    All the best, James

  4. i think that with realey wide wa lenses of fisheeyes you can use a 2,8 and ttill high speed and you have a good focus on them...

     

    Lambis

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.