Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Inaccurate and/or out-of-date article - CP5000

Started by james ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Inaccurate and/or out-of-date article - CP5000

5 posts
  1. I read this article when it originally came out in the magazine about 6 months ago, but now it's up on their website as well. I can understand publishing something "out of date" in a print mag - because the proof has to go in sometimes months before publication. But IMO, they should have updated the article before posting it on their site:

     

    http://www.scubadiving.com/photo/gear/hous...he_coolpix5000/

     

    Some quotes:

     

    "No RAW file format"

     

    Now available for almost 2 months w/ firmware v1.7

     

    "Digital lag remains problematic for underwater subjects"

     

    Much improved with firmware v1.7

     

    And IMO the worst gaff yet:

     

    "Ikelite has a unique means to handle the strobe synchronization issue with the Coolpix 5000. Recognizing that there is no way to fire a flash without the built-in strobe, and acknowledging that the built-in strobe is too close to the lens (undoubtedly causing backscatter due to particles in suspension under water), Ikelite built a deflector into the housing. "

     

    Ikelite provides a hot-shoe connection and bulkhead so that the photographer can use a sync cord for hard-wired TTL control of nikon compatible underwater strobes...

     

    I know that many "beginning" uw photographers read RSD magazine - and this article - which I THINK is supposed to try to simplify choices - just further confuses people about strobe use with digital cameras...sigh.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  2. James - All good points with which I agree. As you surmise, the original review of the Coolpix 5000 was written more than 6 months ago and picked up for the scubadiving.com site without updates. Clearly new information is now relevent. I'll pass your comments on to our webmaster. Please feel free to contact me directly with any inaccuracies or news that affects our readership at Rodale's Scuba Diving, either in print or online.

     

    I appreciate the input.

     

    Stephen Frink

  3. Stephen,

     

    Thank you very much for your response!

     

    I understand the difficulties involved with getting rapidly changing information into print magazine and getting it on the rack before it's "sell-by" date. I hope you don't see this message as a jab at you or your article, which I was excited to read when it came to my mailbox at home.

     

    I was a bit surprised to see it pop up on the RSD homepage though and wanted to bring it to the group's attention.

     

    I know you are a very busy photopro and travel a lot, but I would like to humbly ask that you pop in here from time to time at Wetpixel and let us know about any new and interesting "digital goodies" that you might get a chance to use.

     

    The Seacam Canon 1Ds housing combo comes to mind...:)

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  4. James - No offense taken, and truthfully I see I can learn a lot from this site. Congratulations to you all. I am well immersed in my own digital system (Seacam housing and D1X), but things change so quickly that it is way too easy to overlook important improvements/additions to other systems. Like the Coolpix 5000 firmware update you referenced for example.

     

    Speaking of the D1X, the new Nikon Capture 3.5 software now renders 60MB, 16-bit TIF files from the RAW captures (including anything captured RAW previously and saved to CD) and the new Nikon View 5.1.4 browser finally offers quick enlarged thumbnails for efficient editing. Obviously this same software will benefit D100 users and others in the Coolpix family I presume.

     

    As for the Seacam housing for the Canon EOS1Ds, Austria is still saying March or April for housing introduction. I know we have several pro shooters very eager to get one NOW, but housing production is a rather tedious process it seems. Still, using a camera that powerful will be exciting for sure, and no doubt change the face of editorial and advertsising photography.

     

    I'll drop in now and then to broaden my digital horizons, and contribute when I can.

     

    Steve

  5. I am very impressed that you responded Stephen.

     

    I was also about to say I was very disappointed with the article posted on the web as the web is usually considered the most current and up to date. I appreciate your honesty. Especially since I shoot the 5000 in the A5000 housing...for now.

     

    Come join us in the Bahamas some time with Watt and Fleetham and Sallmon. I already have enough trouble trying to absorb all the information I can from them, what's one more expert.

     

    ps I should add to that list OB1 as he is the master. That boy knows his stuff!! :)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.