Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Heathrow Layover

Started by dawktah ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Heathrow Layover

7 posts
  1. Hello!

     

    I will be coming through Heathrow on February 23rd with my fiancée on our way to Tromsø, Norway. We will be arriving weather permitting at 06:50, our connecting flight leaves at 12:50. The last time I had an 11 hour layover at Gatwick, and had plenty of time to tour. Will we have engouh time to take the Tube down to see, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower of London etc.? It will be a Thursday morning so I don't know if you guys have commuter snarls like in Chicago! :) My fiancée hasn't been to London.

     

    How long is subway ride to and from Heathrow, since I took the Gatwick Express back in 2001.

     

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     

    Thanks Chris

  2. i almost wouldn't bother .... it'll be more work than it's worth even if you do end up having time.

     

    you'll be in mid rush hour time ... and it does get pretty full.

    Edited by digitallywet
  3. I'd agree with Giles. The last time I arrived in Heathrow at about 6 am it took me till 8:30 am to get to Covent Garden, and that was taking the new express train that runs from Heathrow to Victoria Station (I think it was Victoria, it's all a bit hazy). The trip in from Heathrow on the underground to Westminster takes at least 45 minutes when you are on an off peak train.

  4. I think with that length of time you would be pushing it. By the time you get out of the airport and into town you would probably have to turn around and come back. Getting anywhere in London always takes longer than you would think.

     

    The Heathrow Express train would be the best way into london (quickest) which goes to Paddington. Paddington is a tube ride from anywhere interesting though.

     

    This train line has the distinction of being the most expensive in Britain (possibly the world) - £26 return. The advantage is that it is much quicker than the tube - 15 minutes each way.

  5. Anything to see nearby? Just trying not to sit in airport that long! Also do they still have lockers in airport? If not there's no leaving airport anyway.

  6. You could take a taxi and have a quick spin round Windsor Castle (Why did they build it so close to the airport?) but you would not have time to go inside. I just had a 16 hour lie down on the tiles at Port Sudan Airport (Blast Sudan Airways!). No clean toilets, no refreshments and only 13,800 tiles to count.

  7. So if anybody would have taken John's offer to share his :D cabin we would have also spent 16 hours on the tiles. ;) so to speak...

     

    Hope the trip went well though.. :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean B

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.