Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

split shots and neutral density filters

Started by Jim Knowlton ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

split shots and neutral density filters

2 posts
  1. I'd like to try some split shots with my Aquatica dome port and a Nikkor 10.5 mm lens in California water. Has anyone tried using neutral density filters with this lens? Seems that I could cut a half square piece of filter and place it on the back of the lens (since the putting a filter on the front of this lens seems even more difficult). Any tips?

     

    If I do try this, what density should I try? a 0.5?

     

    Or, should I not bother with a filter at all?

     

    Thanks,

    jim

  2. Hi Jim,

     

    I shoot a lot of split levels with the 10.5mm and never use a ND grad or split. The trick is to find underwater subject matter that has a similar exposure to above water half. This is easier in the tropics where the sand is white.

     

    Also shoot at the middle of the day, when the sun is high and there is the most light underwater.

     

    Alex

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.