Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flamboyant Cuttlefish

Started by shchae ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Flamboyant Cuttlefish

8 posts
  1. post-815-1139098135_thumb.jpgHi,

    I was taking picture of Flamboyant Cuttlefish in Anilao, Phillipines last week & It was unusually fat. Next minute, it start deliver, I think, a egg.

     

    Can you confirm it is egg ?

     

    Sam

  2. Flambuoyant cuttles (M. pfefferi I think is the spelling) have small black eggs. They are smaller than a "gumdrop" and similarly shaped.

     

    Good catch, I would love to see one of these babies!!!

     

    Cheers

    James

    Edited by james
  3. I think you may be right, Sam. Here's a photo of some flambouyant eggs from Lembeh (KBR house reef):

     

    051013_079.jpg

     

    They looked approximately the same size as the round mass that is still in your cuttle's tentacles.

     

    James, I hadn't heard that they were black. All the ones I have seen have been this milky translucent color.

  4. Dr. James Wood told me they are black - but who knows.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. They start out black & teardrop shaped. As they age the shape changes to round which helps wedge them in place and turn translucent.

  6. Wow....Thanks a lot !!

  7. Fabulous photos and great info, but what's this squid doing on Sam's photo ? Really producing an egg ? Then it becomes round after that ? Or is he eating something.

     

     

    Speaking about squid eggs, yesterday, at the end of the dive we found big mass of squid eggs in the shallows (like 6 m only). My crew started collecting them: it's a delicacy in the Philippines. Ever heard about this ?

  8. Interesting, I'll have to look for black gumdrops now!

     

    But I too am now wondering what this cuttle is doing in the photo.. There is a dark spot in the mass; could it still be eggs? I've seen them eat, and that's not what this looks like to me, but that was hunting.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.