Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon Capture 4 on XP

Started by Steve Jones ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Capture 4 on XP

2 posts
  1. Hi

     

    just started running a trial of Nikon Capture 4 on Win XP. My machines old but still no slouch - Athlon XP 2000, 1.3 GB RAM, UDMA 133 drives.

     

    Yet the application runs like a snail, taking 30 secs to open a D2X NEF (compared with a couple of seconds in RAW shooter) and if I try and adjust exposure, then the whole thing grinds to a halt and thinks about it for 5 minutes.

     

    I have no problem running other power apps like CS2 on this machine - I can process multiple TIFFS simultaneouslty and the computer deals with it no sweat

     

    Am I missing something on the config of Capture, like SWAP files etc., or is the software so poor that it just eats up my machine when I try anything?

     

    cheers

     

    Steve

  2. In a word, yes, it's that power hungry. I think it brute-forces where it should finesse. Sloppy code.

     

    You might try adding a hard drive (best), or, moving your partitions around to make space for another volume (cheapest and still works faster). Then point your Capture temp folder to that.

     

    I'm running 2 GB of RAM, but that's mostly because of PS. I'm an anomally around here...I work mostly with jpg's and rarely with RAW.

     

    All the best, James

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.