Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

would like some advice

Started by Geo1140 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

would like some advice

8 posts
  1. I have just recieved my new d70s a month ago..I am going to Bonaire the end of april and I would like to get some advice on what setting I should start with when using the 18-70 lens thats the only lens I have right now. I have a new Ike Housing and DS 125 strobe...and any aother advice on this toppic would be very helpful...

     

    Thx in advance

    GEO

  2. Man, there are so many settings to consider, and so many opinions.

     

    Most important: shoot RAW, then a lot of settings just don't matter.

     

    I shoot manual, with matrix metering ... or sometimes I shoot A for balanced shots, then fine-tune with exposure compensation (starting at neutral for level shots, -2/3 or so for upward shots).

     

    I have autoreview on, and usually look at the histogram, toggling to highllights sometimes and sometimes going to the first view (just the photo).

     

    I mostly use S on the autofocus, not C ... I like locking on the focus and hearing the beep -- tho many shooters who are far better than me use C with dynamic areas...I think exploiting C/dynamic is easier if you are very good, and your camera is very fast (D2X/D200). I focus on selected areas.

     

    I mostly have white-balance on A, unless I am doing pure ambient shots where I use Pre or totally strobe-dominated shots where I use Flash. Again, shoot RAW and it don't matter (ditto on contrast and saturation).

     

    Rarely push beyond ISO200; the D70 ain't quite as smoot as the Canon competition.

     

    Almost always shoot with diffusers on the strobes (Ike DS125).

     

    And ... check your strobe aim, position, etc., OFTEN.

     

    And..and...get a 10.5, 15, or 16 Fisheye as soon as you can!

     

    And...and...and..have fun in Bonaire, I think it's great. The macro / portait opportunities are very good. I haven't housed my 18-70 (the 60 is EXCELLENT for Bonaire), so hopefully others can offer some lens-specific hints.

  3. Yep: Manual shutter/aperture; RAW; Auto White Balance; Single shot Autofocus; autoreview with histogram; ISO200.

     

    And I agree with CeeDave - Bonaire is ace!

  4. If I get a 10.5 will one 125 give me enough light.

  5. I'm afraid not.....it's hard to light properly with 2....of course, there could be a few exceptions, but I would not burn a dive trying

     

    Karl

    Edited by kdietz
  6. What would be the widest angle lens I could expect to light up with just one 125 strobe?

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Geo

  7. The Ike 125 has 90 degrees of coverage so its will cover min zoom range of 16-17 mm ( 35 mm film).

    You can still take photo with wider lens but with not all the area of coverage lightening, for instance close focus wide angle image with close lightening subject and half image of unlightenning background.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.