Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Tozeuma and Periclemenes? shrimp

Started by seagrant ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Tozeuma and Periclemenes? shrimp

4 posts
  1. Hi! Starting to make a dent in my unusual stuff from Bali/Alor, Sept/Oct 05

     

    Wondering if I could get some help with these:

     

    1 & 2) Is the Tozeuma shrimp described? Full scientific name? Any data on its eggs?

     

    3) Is the black coral horned shrimp a Periclemenes species? Described? Name?

     

    Thanks a bunch! Carol

     

     

    #1-Tozeuma shrimp, Bali

    Tozeuma_shrimp_eggs1.jpg

     

     

     

    #2-Tozeuma shrimp, closeup of eggs

    Tozeuma_shrimp_eggs2.jpg

     

     

    #3-black coral horned shrimp, Alor

    Blkcoral_horned_shrimp.jpg

    Edited by seagrant
  2. There are about a dozen described species of Tozeuma and a bunch of undescribed ones but nearly every picture on the web is labelled T. armatum whether it is or not. :unsure: Supposedly T. armatum is only found on wire coral and lacks the ocelli (spots) on the side so yours is something else. It matches some pictures in Debelius (Crustacea of the World) which are left as Tozeuma sp. Shrimp always carry their eggs; the ones on the substrate look like snail eggs.

     

    The horned shrimp is one of my favorites - Miropandalus hardingi Bruce 1983, family Pandalidae. Lots of people mistake it for a Periclimenes but it's not even in the same family.

  3. Thanks Leslie for setting me straight!!

     

    The Tozeuma shrimp is carrying eggs so I figured maybe this was an exception in the broad shrimp family that maybe do "attach" their eggs (like brine shrimp, but that is not a good comparison as those aren't even real shrimp now are they??)

     

    But yes, I had wondered if the eggs were already on the Tozeuma's home.

     

    There were also some very interesting very pale off-white, almost a bit translucent Tozeuma shrimp there also. Didn't get great pics, but I might post anyway. But as you said, many undescribed Tozeuma sp. so they probably aren't that interesting.

     

    So, again Periclemenes is what the Ferrari's figured a similar gorgonian horned shrimp was in their Malaysian Macro Life book (but they did ask for corrections). So then it is Pandalidae, thanks for that info.

     

    Again thanks again for saving me from making mistakes, I'm still getting used to Indonesia and anything that doesn't swim. :unsure:

     

    Kind Regards and Thanks, Carol

  4. Brine shrimp are in a whole different class - Brachiopoda - than the shrimps & crabs - Malacostraca. Post away on those white Tozeuma. It's always interesting to see the wide variety of species in the Indo-Pacific.

     

    Yeah, I noticed the mistake in the Ferrari book. There are a few others but overall they did a really great job of getting ids.

     

    Thanks for posting your pics! :unsure: Until someone or some agency funds a trip to the IP I'm stuck in La so images like yours are the closest I can get.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.