Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Grouper?

Started by cdascher ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Grouper?

16 posts
  1. Is this a grouper? :unsure: Shot in Indonesia.

     

    Thanks.

    post-1906-1139653800_thumb.jpg

  2. In the caribbean we call that a Coney .... but it is of the Grouper family I believe. feel free to correct me anyone.

  3. That's a common coral grouper found throughout SEA. Someone can provide the latin name...

  4. Coral cod (= grouper) or jewel cod, Cephalopholis miniata.

  5. So over here in the Caymans that fish is exactly the same latin name ? but we just give it a different common name .. or am Italking about a completely different fish ?

    coney.jpg

    coney2.jpg

     

    I call that bad boy a coney ... i don't like being wrong so please let me know if i am right or wrong so i can start getting it right if i haven't already.

  6. I don't know about C. miniata but you've got a couple of similar ones like Cephalopholis fulvus, C. cruentus. Someone with a carib fish book needs to step in here!

  7. The "coney" does not seem to have the same greenish yellow banding that is in my Indonesian specimen. I susspect that might be a morph. Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of nudis to sort out so maybe I will be back to this formum soon.

  8. Last year in the Carribean my dive guide told me that this was a coney.

     

    Joe

    post-1513-1139750884_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Kelpfish
  9. Yes you can get those dual coloured ones .. and also a bright yellow one.

     

    f123lg.jpgfrom JimBrandon.com

     

    I believe that is a juvenille phase .. and all are coneys .. and coneys are of the grouper / sea bass family ? I was just wondering how similar the pacific and atlantic ones are.

    Edited by digitallywet
  10. Leslie's correct. In the Caribbean, it's a different fish, called Cephalopholis fulvus, also known as a Coney. There are a couple of other species that are locally called Coney in Puerto Rico and Barbados. The Coney most commonly seen have a lot of colour phases that range from completely yellow with blue spots, to half white, half red, to the red version seen here. An identifying clue are the back spots shown on the lower lip.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  11. arrgh, my keyboarding...BLACK spots, I meant.

    Marli

  12. Grouper = cod = coney

  13. Thanks Leslie ... thats a bit easier for a non latin speaking person to understand.

  14. And don't forget Hind...just to confuse the issue a little further... :unsure:

  15. ah the old rock hinds .. yes ... thats what i call the boring coneys !!

     

    and the bigger boys get to be called grouper .. although some hinds are pretty big !

  16. I have seen the coney switch from red phase to bi-color several times. It is pretty cool. Does anyone know if the significance of this particular shift is known?

    -Beth

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.