Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Shrimp Id?

Started by seagrant ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Shrimp Id?

7 posts
  1. This shrimp was not uncommon in Alor, Indonesia, etc. but it is not in any of my books, internet resources, etc.

     

    ID?

     

    Much Thanks, Carol

     

    Orange shrimp w/eggs??? to ID:

    Shrimp_toID.jpg

    Edited by seagrant
  2. Sorry, Carol, not enough detail. Got any side shots? Also, in an area like Indonesia "not uncommon" doesn't equal described since there's so many species & so few taxonomists! Or it could be something described from preserved specimens so no one knows the coloration of the live animal.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. OK, Leslie, I don't think I have another one of this shrimp but I'll check.

     

    I'll also send it to Graham Abbott, who led our trip, and ask him, he should know, and I'll let you know. Only thing is he is on yet another research charter right now, then another..............., so it will be a while.

     

    In fact I would have shown him all these pics and looked more through the myriad of ID books we had on the boat if I hadn't just stayed in the water sooooo much!!! Gosh Darn! 43 dives/11 days av almost 90 min per dive and it wasn't all shallow either......., but that didn't give me much time in between but I did get a few things IDed on board.

     

    Thanks, more soon, Carol

  4. Hi Carol

     

    well, things aren't as bad as Leslie describes, she is just too pessimistic, which understandable, she has to deal with all the numerous boring worms .. :blink:

     

    your shrimp is a member of the family Processidae, most probably Processa sp. or Hayashidomus sp.

     

    they are usually active at night, but not much more is known on the biology of tropical species

     

    cheerio

     

    Art

     

     

     

     

    :o

  5. Oh, Art, what am I going to do with you? :P First you tell me images don't have enough detail then you id them anyway, call me pessimistic, and finally insult my beautiful worms! You're lucky I adore you - otherwise I'd have to kill you! :blink:

  6. Oh, my goodness, see what a little shrimpy started..... :D:o <_<

     

    Thanks Art and Leslie both, I enjoy any feedback and I admire when scientists just "take the plunge" so to speak and give data, however tentative. I appreciate some data even if it is just an educated guess...... ;)

     

    But Art's is more than that to go on and good ID, appreciate it Art I'll send it now to Graham Abbott also for his data, I never found out if he knew what it was or not. The shrimp was cool and yes at night!

     

    But, hey no worm insulting in my posts, hey...... <_< , I still have many wormies for Leslie to see and I can assure you many are anything but boring!!!! :)

     

    I used to think anything that didn't "swim" was a bit "boring" but Leslie, Indonesia and even closer inspection in our neck of the sea has made me "SEE THE LIGHT"!!!! :P I'm saved!!!! :D

     

    As you say Cheerio!! And more to come from me, if I could just stop divin long enough to get through all these pics.................. :blink:

     

    Thanks, Carol

  7. Carol,

     

    There are even more unusual shrimps in Raja Ampat. I have to dig up one that DebF shot last Nov. and post it.

    It was so well camouflaged that if you don't take a real hard look at the coral it is on you won't realize there is a shimp on the coral.

    As it is, its arms and claws are completely blended in with the background and not visible.

    Some very unusual critters in Raja Ampat if you know where to look.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.