Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Mustard speaking - London 15 Feb

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Mustard speaking - London 15 Feb

13 posts
  1. Just a quick announcement.

    For those in England on Wednesday. I am speaking at BSoUP, in South Kensington, London, on the evening of the 15th.

     

    The subject of my talk is Fish Photography, which is certainly one of my favourite disciplines. And the talk itself is a new one, written specifically for the evening.

     

    The talk is at the monthly meeting of BSoUP, but non-members are welcome to see what BSoUP is all about and hopefully join the Society!

     

    Here is the official stuff from the website:

    TECHNICAL TALK - ALEX MUSTARD: SHOOTING FISH

     

    "Taking pictures of the cool fish we see while diving is what prompted many of us to pick up cameras in the first place" says Alex. "However, great fish photos remain elusive and are always a challenge". Alex will share his tips for finding and getting close to the subject. He will also discuss various options for framing, lighting and composing fish images. As ever, Alex's talk will be full of tips and ideas to try so don't forget your pen and paper.

     

    Although Alex is BSoUP's digital officer, this talk will appeal to all photographers with an interest in natural history subjects. Alex's fish pics have won him multiple awards at both the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition and Antibes Festival.

     

    More...

  2. you are still alive then ... wondered if your .. ahem .. "small" birthday bash had put you out of action for a while !

  3. Still soldiering on, buddy.

     

    A bit overrun with stuff lately - mainly a loose collection of pages with your face on the front!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  4. well if thats what it takes to make a loose collection of pages grab your attention .. and hopefully everybody elses :unsure:

     

    Next year we can upgrade from the silversides ... you can get me cuddling a tiger shark !

  5. Giles if you are talking about the cover Alex did I saw the post the other day I was laughing so hard. If you guys get together on a liveaboard or something I wanna go! I need to get back to GC soon, If I can't get a sexy female model and you don't have an exclusive with Alex... what are your rates?.

     

     

     

    ALEX:

     

    Gonna have to miss it being in the states any way of getting a transcript? I would love to read one if possible.

     

     

    -Steve

    Edited by Photobeat
  6. I used to be terrified of giving talks and would prepare a detailed transcript as my only way of surviving the ordeal. Anyway I decided that this was a pathetic situation and just started volunteering for every talk I could. Eventually it go my confidence up - relising that if I can speak English, then i can give a talk! And now I do the minimum preparation on what I will actually say - as I think it gives my talks a more spontaneous feel, and also makes them more in tune with the audience.

     

    That said, for fun I have considered making a few web movies of some of my talks! Which I may get round to at some point.

     

    Alex

  7. Hi Alex,

    I saw today the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2005 in the Australian museum in Sydney and was happy to see two of your photos in it.

    Well done!

  8. Cool! I have never been to Australia. At least my photos have.

     

    Alex

  9. You've never been to Oz? Dude you have got to get out more!

  10. Now what is going on here !!!!

    You guys, what happened to taking pictures of chicks in bikini !!! (by the way south of France they don't even have bikinis, :D )

    Sorry Alex, sorry Steve but Giles is about to sign an exclusive with the girls on wetpixel as model of the year.

    Giles have you received my e-mail yet ? No !!! Darn did I forget to send it ??? LOL

    GC seems to be a lot of fun, too bad I'll be in Raja Ampat next month (I feel so sorry for myself here !!!!) but you know on 1 side Giles in GC on the other side all the little critters in Raja Ampat, I don't know it's nearly a tie !!!!! If only Giles could lower his rates !!!

    Alright enough silliness but it feels good after a rough day at work :o

     

    Sylvie

  11. .... oh i see how it is ... well you's all just jealous ... and i don't have rates .. although now we are talking about them ... i'll take one of those French Women you were talking about. the ones that don't even have bikini's :o

     

    ps .. we got some critters here too .. mostly in the bars .. but some underwater :D

  12. Giving a talk implies that one has knowledge of whatever it is they're talking about.

     

    In the grand scheme of things, I, for one, know nothing about what I do. :D

     

    ~Matt Segal

  13. The talk was well received. And I have just realised that for those wanting a transcript they can read my recent article in UWP Mag on the same subject (It is in UWP Mag Issue 28). The written article goes into much less detail, and contains only a few images (there were 90+ in my 50 minute talk), but you get the jist.

     

    talk6.jpg

     

    I also won the monthly competition, which was on theme of Monochrome, with this picture. BSoUP monthly competitions are just a bit of fun, and there are no prizes, but the standard is actually very high. You see plenty of images that go on to win big international prizes there first. Alas this shot isn't going to be doing any of that, it has already been assigned to imprisonment in the photo-library.

     

    AM20.jpg

     

    Although I do have the good version of this shot waiting in the wings for competition use!

     

    Alex

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.