Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Tray and Arm sets

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tray and Arm sets

6 posts
  1. OK, hello everyone. This is my first post here so please forgive the stupid newbie questions :D

    I would like to know before I go out and blow a wad of cash on an arm set:

    How long should the arm be/how far away should a strobe be to effectively reduce backscatter? Are two strobes necessary or will one generally do the trick? Should the arm set be able to position the strobe directly above the lens for taking macro picts? Thanks for your patience while overcome my ignorance.

  2. HI,

     

    Can I ask you what you are shooting, as in macro?

    or wide Angle? As you set up differently for the type

    of lens & the strobe arms for each. By the way you

    are just about to get in to the quickest way of spending

    your'e hard earned cash, but what a way to spend it & think

    of the under water experience you can show everyone.

     

    Andy :D:o;)

  3. Hello.

     

    I use 8" - 4" combo, this is enough for WA but i can break it down to just 4" for macro shooting.

     

    this is all held together with 3 ball clamps.

     

    1x on housing handle 1x between the 4" & 8" arm segments & 1x between the last arm segment and strobe.

     

    Totally flexable lighting solution...

     

    lighting itself is totally user unique, it depends on your taste and the effect your trying to create. PHOTOGRAPHER = LIGHT PAINTER.

     

    top lighting with one strobe creates nice shadows in macro, shooting wide will require another approach, turbid waters require a different thought process.

     

    no hard and fast fix rules exsist.

     

    Play with you paints and create your art.

     

    regards

     

    craig

  4. Thanks for the responses already! As I though about what I asked, I began to realize one could probably write a whole book on each.

     

    Craig, a 4" and 8" combo sems to be a pretty good start with lots of options. I assume the 4" acts as the "handle" for the whole set up? And, can you get the strobe positioned well enough for "top lighting" using only the 4" and clamps for macro?

     

    Andy, I know I'm about to spend some bucks, thats why I want to ask before I buy so I don't make too many costly mistakes. My camera is a Sony digital 5.0mp DSC-P10. I know, not the greatest, but I had it before I got into this completely addictive hobby. I live in S. California so my greatest opportunities for macro have been Spanish Shawl nudibranches and Christmas Tree worms. As for WA, anything with the kelp forests as a back drop is spectacular!

     

    I can actually capture great shots with my limited set up now. The reason I am jonsing for a strobe and arm is to get rid of backscatter created by the camera's native flash and add more definition to each picture.

  5. When I bought my first arm system I was talked into getting a 4" and 8" arm system. I don't find it works well for either macro or wide angle. Get a 4" and 6"or 4" for macro. I like 2 12" for wide angle. Some people thing at least one 16" is necessary.

     

    I like two strobes. You can always turn on off and you have a backup with you. But you can get very good stuff with only one strobe.

     

    Just remember the golden rule. Never light up the water between your camera and your subject.

  6. Hi - and welcome to this fast-draining bank account , fun experience.

     

    I moved from one strobe to two stobes about 18 months ago. It does make quite a difference in terms of lighting balance and versatility. It also provides some u/w redundancy: if one goes down you always have a second. But, yep, it costs a lot more and there are more things to deal with. I'd suggest starting with one strobe, see how you get on - and then perhaps invest in a second.

     

    On arms, I've always been happy with my ULCS 5" and 8" arm sets. I now have two sets of them - one for each strobe. I put the 8" arm on the housing; with the 5" attached to the strobe - and everything tied together with clamps. It seems to work well enough and copes with macro and w/a. I do find that two arms for macro gives greater flexibilty in getting stobes closer to the subject which can, of course, be close to the port.

     

    Hope this helps......

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.