Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Deep Sea IMAX 3D

Started by echeng ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Deep Sea IMAX 3D

16 posts
  1. I went to the preview screening of Howard and Michele Hall's new IMAX movie, Deep Sea 3D, at the Loews IMAX here in New York City this evening. It was really, really amazing. Especially cool was the fact that a lot of it was filmed in locations that many of us know well (along with individual critters we've photographed!). Specific locations include parts of the Bahamas (Jim Abernethy was one of their guides for tiger sharks, reef sharks, groupers, and Bahamian reefs), Turtle Pinnacle off of Kona, night manta ray dive off of Kona, and more...

     

    I wanted to take some pictures of the preview screening, but ... there wasn't really anything but the illuminated movie poster to photograph, and a picture of that is already online. :D

     

    I highly recommend seeing it when it comes out on March 3rd!

     

    DS-3D_POSTER-ADVlow.jpg

  2. I was walking up Exhibition Road in London last night and the posters are up on the London Science Museum! So I guess it is on in the UK now too.

     

    I am really keen to go and see it.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Actually Exhibition Road is rather a fun walk for the underwater photography geek at the moment as there are posters of UW pix taken by myself, the Hoodster (Charles Hood) and Seafood (Douglas Seifert) all within about 50 yards! :D

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  3. Eric don't forget BC!!!!!!!!

     

    Alex: Seafood for Seifert?!?! ooo thats funny, going to write an email now!

  4. Yeah, Thanks Mike.

     

    I most definately will go seeing as how I saw them filming in the Bahamas and British Columbia. Wonder if I made the credits :D

  5. I can't wait to see this one. When Coral Reef Adventure came out, Howard and Michelle Hall showed up for a screening here in Boston.

  6. Stan Waterman was going to attend the showing; I had post-show dinner plans with him and Al Vinjamur (mutual friend of ours here in New York), but (obviously) with the passing of Peter Benchley, Stan was unable to make it.

     

    Michele said that "they" were being fairly lenient on number of people on the guest list this time around, but there were only a few dozen people in the audience. I wondered who they were; it is Warner Bros film (!), and maybe some of the other people there were associated with them? Press?

    Edited by echeng
  7. Alas, four (FOUR!) IMAX theaters within 20 miles of me and NONE of them is on the list for this movie yet!

     

    Mike

  8. I have just sorted out going to see it in London on Tuesday. Looking forward to being immersed in Deep Sea 3D!

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. Mike V, as I am sure you know, nicknames are very import to us Brits. Normally a sign of respect!

  9. Yeah !! You tell him wholegrain, frenchie, dijon...

     

    No Imax theatres around the Cotswolds we've only just got the telephone.

     

    Witchcraft I tell ye, Witchcraft.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  10. Its not due to be released in Australia intil mid 2006 :D

  11. I subscribe to Netflix and I am always renting the imax films that were previously released. Not the same impact as in Imax but still better than a lot of discovery channel. If you don't have an Imax theater nearby you can rent them..

    Edited by Photobeat
  12. I went diving with Howard and Michelle Hall on a cold water trip and got to hear all the scoop on his 3D work. It is a lot of heavy work and, depending on what he is trying to shoot, a waiting game. He is a hell of a nice guy and his wife is truley a sweetheart.

     

    Joe

  13. I saw the movie last night and it's jaw-dropping spectacular. It's the closest you can get to diving without getting wet. Consider it your duty to get all of your non-diving friends to see this movie!

     

    The question that came to mind is whether the sound is recorded live, or if some of the sound is foley. Do scallops really scream? :) Ok, they don't 'scream', but it does kinda sound like they do when running from the starfish.

    Edited by TheQ
  14. I got to "help" (mostly helping to get that gigantic camera into and out of the water) when they filmed out at the Flower Gardens last year.

     

    Hopefully some of the coral spawn shots made it into the movie.

     

    At the time, we didn't know who the narrator(s) would be. Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.. pretty cool. Can't wait to see it.

     

    Cp

    Edited by Cp
  15. Just saw it this evening. The 3D was spectacular. My wife said it best. "I felt like breathing through my mouth for the entire movie". Depp and Winslet do a good job. There is a coral spawn shot. If I were to be critical I'd say they put their best stuff in up front in the first 20 minutes and then it sort of waned toward the end. There seemed to be a great deal of time spent off the California Coast. Shots I expected but weren't in there are of seals and White Sharks. I was also hoping to see a Whale Shark as well at the Flower Gardens. Anyway, still worth every penny to see. Later,

  16. Just saw the show at the Luxor in Vegas. Amazing, This is as good as it gets without actually getting wet!

     

    I thought the narration was very good too without getting too preachy, it still got a good conservation message across.

     

    Loved every minute of it!!!!!

    John

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.