Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

System begun

Started by seadeuce ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

System begun

3 posts
  1. Got my S2!!

     

    Next step-- housing.

    Does the Ikelite have a new back, and if so, what extra functions are there?

     

    Recommendations for a twin strobe setup - twin sync? have seen stories of flooding.

     

    Finally, merits of ULCS v. Ikelite strobe arms etc. Yes, I know it is a personal choice, but need input before I can make one.

     

    BTW can't find the site with a listing of all the Ikelite housings and accessories (code numbers). They're not on the Ikelite site. Didn't bookmark them when last seen.

    Afraid if I order I will be left short of a vital piece which I did not mention.

     

    Many thx,

     

    seadeuce

  2. The S2 performs. I just had mine out for the first time last week. I just posted a few shots from Belize under the "photo critique" forum.

     

    I was fortunate in that I already had 2 SB 105's with TLC arm sets from my Nik V setup. The TLC arms attach to the Ikelite housing via ball clamps that adapt from TLC's to Ike's ball fittings. Besides the strobes, arms, and sync chord (whichever type you choose) all you need is the ball clamps and the ball connectors that fit into the top of the handles on the housing.

     

    I can tell you for sure that the S2 syncs unbelievably well with my 2 SB 105's. I had completely given up on TTL with my Nik V and now the opposite applies. I found the exposure very nice with a +0.5 compensation. After that it's nearly point and shoot (with exception of focusing on moving targets)

     

    There are a couple functions that I would like to access but didn't find that to be a big issue. For now it seems Ikelite is the only choice.

  3. The index to all Ikelite parts is: Parts list

     

    Dual strobes with Ikelite dual synch cord is the way to go. Flooding reports were on the early units of the DS-125. No worries.

     

    I never cared much for the Ikelite arms. Either the ULCS or TLC arms work better for in water adjustments. The Ultralite arms are supposedly better because the balls have o-rings on them, but the honest truth is that I've never noticed a difference. TLC's strobe and dove tail handle attachments are part of an arm section, whereas the Ultralites use just a ball. I found the wheel style clamp of the TLC easier to adjust than the wingnut style of the Ultralite. Either one works fine.

     

    Start with the BA-IK that fits into the Ikelite handle. Add two 8" arms DB-08, three AC-CSF clamps and an adaptor for your strobe and you've got a nice adjustable arm for both macro and wide angle.

     

     

    Ultralight Control Sytems

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.