Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Info on sony F707 or F717

Started by mech_inf_lt ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Info on sony F707 or F717

2 posts
  1. I'm wanting to buy my first digicam, but want to ensure what I buy I can dive with. I started out with the CoolPix 5700, Sony F717, and the Fuji S602. I soon found out that the CoolPix 5700 isn't suited well for underwater housing (due to the zoom lens), and I haven't found a housing for the Fugi S602. I then found out the Sony F717 (with ikelite housing) doesn't take a full 100 degree pic with the wide lens. I then started to look at the Olympus 5050 and Coolpix 5000, which are both great camera's but I don't think they campare to the sony for non-diving pics. I'm leaning towards the F717 or 707, because I will be taking more above water pics then below.

     

    So I'm trying to find someone that is currently using a sony F707 or F717 to provide some info on them, or if someone can provide a pic with and without the wide lens on so I can compare.

     

    also where can I get insurance to cover my camera incase the housing floods?

     

    Thanks

    Any help or advice would be appericated.

  2. The Sony 707 housed in Ikelite and DS-125 strobe was my previous setup.

     

    I'ts a wonderful camera with great optics and it takes amazing pictures with the DS-125 strobe. HOWEVER, I felt, that the wide angle limit of the setup (only 38 mm) bothering me more and more and became a critical issue, as I made a big progress with my U\W photography skills, I need much more wide angle abilities, and since i'ts impossible to add a w\a add on lens on my Ikelite housing, I decided to upgrade to DSLR ( B.T.W I'm still waiting for my S2 Pro :) ). maybe, the Amphibico housing for the 707 is capable for their W\A add on lens, you should check it.

     

    On the other side of the scale, the sony takes superb macro shots :)

    If you can live with the limitation' Its a great camera

     

    Here's an example of a picture that SHOULD be much more impressive

    with a lens wider than 38mm.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.