Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Whose ? egg case

Started by Gaynor ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Whose ? egg case

4 posts
  1. post-5163-1140273342_thumb.jpg

    This photo was taken last summer during our ongoing Posidonia research program in the Med, and I am still trying to find out what it is.

    It was firmly attached to a Posidonia leaf and measured approx 1cm diameter by 1.5cm high. Looked like an egg case, but of what?

    Any suggestions?

     

    Gaynor :)

     

    gaynor@kennaecodiving.net

    www.kennaecodiving.net

  2. Looks like a very typical bobtail squid or cuttlefish egg, and judging by the fact it's on a seagrass blade it belongs to one of the smaller species.

  3. Thanks Worm Girl.

    I have seen many cuttlefish in the same area, but what does a bobtail squid look like? Do you happen to have a photo so that I can look out for them? Are they nocturnal?

  4. Bobtails are adorable little squids with round bodies & stubby fins that tend to live buried in the sand during the day or among sheltering seagrass, corals, etc. They come out at night to feed & mate. I don't have a photo to post but a google image search produces about 200 photos of these charismatic cuties.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.