Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon Rebel XT vs. 20d

Started by xtremediver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon Rebel XT vs. 20d

3 posts
  1. Well, it's that time that some of us "older" photographers (and divers) really dread, the change in technology. As an avid user of film for more years than I want to admit, I believe it is time to sell the old gear and "upgrade" to digital, at least for underwater. My deliema is which of the the two mentioned Canon cameras would be the better choice for a few years. Both have enough mps to enlarge to my usual size and the lens I presently have will work great on both. Any one have any useful thoughts on this? Both have great housings available and for underwater use, the weight appears close enough to not be an issue. My film cameras for underwater at the present time are the old reliable Rebl G's in Ike's great housing. Dual strobes and all the goodies. IF I could find a good housing for my Canon 1V, I would probably put that one in service. (Yeah, I know about the Seacam housing Steven, but it sure isn't easy on the budget). I can't find a reasonable housing for my medium format Hassy, so I chose good quality L series lens with a camera that was easily replaced,if flooded. Now what? Some of you folks have gone through this too, so I would love to hear your choices and your results. Thanks for the help.

  2. Hi and welcome to Wetpixel!

     

    I think you should go to one of the "big box" stores like Frys or Circuit City and try out the two cameras. They are both nice, but feel significantly different in the hand. I've used the 20D a lot and it has a nice feel in the hand. The XT feels too small to me and not as solid feeling.

     

    In either case, they both have great sensors. The Rebel doesn't have two dials (one for shutter speed and one for aperture) like the 20D has. Those two wheels are sure nice to have.

     

    Anyhow, again, I'd try the two out for yourself.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks for the advice, I ended up with the 20D and actually bought it in wetpixel's calasified. Now for the housing.......

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.