Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flatworm ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Flatworm ID

3 posts
  1. This is a photo I just rediscovered. I haven't been able to ID this flatworm from Port Stephens, NSW, Australia. Found around 15m depth at Halifax Park.

     

    None of my books have much about flatworms at all :lol:

     

    cheers

    Leander

     

    hmmm ... I think I am becoming a chronic Critter ID poster :)

    post-1321-1140323942_thumb.jpg

  2. A very difficult one. Which book can we use for these flatworms ? They are as beautiful as the nudis - but how to determinate ?

     

    In the "white group" I found several, everything seems to play on the color of the periphery: from inside to outside:

    Pseudoceros jebborum is black and yellow (this could be a young one ?)

    Pseudoceros bimarginatus: white - brown-red- black - yellow

    Pseudoceros confusus - white black dark yellow-black-white

    Could not get further...

  3. Here's an alternative, Leander.... your picture is a very close match for one identified as Cycloporus venetus in Newman & Cannon's book "Marine Flatworms", p. 66. C. venetus was described as being blue with a white median line, yellow margin with clear rim, and black spots on tentacles. The one in the book however has the same white body shading darker towards the yellow margin as yours. since Newman & Cannon described the species I would guess that the book image matching yours is correctly identified.

     

    Here's Alcina's shot of the blue morph from Ningaloo (it was described from Exmouth)

    http://www.oceansbyanderson.com/SLUGS/slid...%20venetus.html

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.