Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Is Conversion to Adobe DNG lossless

Started by Simon K. ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Is Conversion to Adobe DNG lossless

4 posts
  1. I'm thinking about converting my RAW file archive to DNG because I think the chances that DNG is supported in 20 years is higher than some properitary Raw File Format.

     

    Are there any disadvantages and do I lose an kind of Information when converting?

     

    Thanks

    Simon

  2. Yes. YOu retain all information that was in the origional RAW

  3. I don't think you loss any of the information in the original RAW in going to DNG. However, you'll be limited to the raw converters that supports DNG and their color profiles for your camera.

     

    I prefer the colors rendered by the Canon and C1 converters over the Adobe converter and don't see an advantage in converting at this point in time. I have the DNG conversion software for my raw files and can convert anytime in the future. There's no point in limiting my options today or spend for the extra storage for both versions.

    Edited by herbko
  4. I have just recently updated my Downloader Pro ( Breeze Systems) to the latest version. It has a neat new feature that lets you make DNG copies of your RAW files as you download them. That would be a easy way to have both file types if that is what you want. Also usefull for me as I cant open Canon 5D RAW files in Photoshop CS ( You need CS2)

    http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.