Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Tray, Arms, Housing, Strobe Compatibility

Started by mymoosie ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Tray, Arms, Housing, Strobe Compatibility

5 posts
  1. Hi All. I am really hoping someone can help me out here. I have read, researched, looked thru forums, etc. until my eyeballs are about to pop-out and my head is spinning from info overload. So would really appreciate the help.

     

    I have been using an Olympus Stylus 500 in a PT-026 housing when I take pictures while snorkeling on our vacations. My photos still lack light so now I'm thinking it's time to add a strobe. I need something reasonable, as I would only use this maybe 2 weeks out of the year. I snorkel, do not dive, and our vacations are usually in the Caribbean. I'm trying to do this reasonably so as not to break the bank. :lol:

     

    Thinking of plunging in and getting the Ikelite DS-50.

    Most of the setup that I see is the Ikelite arm system that looks very unwieldy and reminds me of those lamps you used to have in college that clamps on the table. :)

    I actually would prefer to have one of those bendy arm types, not too long. Again, I'm just a snorkeler and don't want to be dragging something that is too long. I just want some extra light.

     

    My question:

    Can I get one of those bendy arm type that would be compatible with my housing?

    Would it be compatible with the Ikelite DS-50?

    What would I need to connect the strobe to the arm?

     

    Oh, I plan to get the TTL slave sync.

     

    Thanks in advance for any help!

     

    Kris

  2. If your heart is set on one of those flexible arms, I know that both Sea & Sea and Sea Life both make them. I think S&S also makes adapters for just about every strobe out there that can be used to attach the strobe to the arm.

     

    I was recently looking at going that route myself as a lower cost set up, but I decided against it for two reasons. 1) For future upgrades, it is really limiting. You might as well start over again. 2) It isn't a really good system for shooting either macro or wide angle. Again it is somewhere in the middle. S&S make a 12" arm that might have more adaptabiity then a shorter one.

  3. You can't go wrong with a DS50. Very robust strobe and works with AA batteries.

     

    Joe

  4. Thank you for the info. I was looking at the S&S 12" arm. Was also looking at the S&S single arm option. I wasn't sure that the arm and strobe from different manufacturers are compatible. So that is good to know.

     

    IMSushi - I have been reading your threads too and learning a lot. I am sure I will end up starting all over again a few years from now, probably with a new camera setup and all. I don't mind. Maybe by that time I will be diving too, not just snorkeling! :angry:

     

    I've decided to not jump off the ledge so quickly and keep doing my homework. I really want to see a setup in person before I take the plunge. Unfortunately I have not found of any places in the WashDC area that would have this. So, I think on my next trip to NYC, I'll mosey on down to B&H and at least see what they have in person.

     

    Thanks again!

     

    Kris

  5. You know, I've learned quite a bit from these guys past threads in the just the last few weeks. BTW, I have ended up purchasing the ULCS single arm w/tray and the INON D-2000 strobe. I figure this will give me the most upradability in my near future wether I get a new camera or another arm and strobe. I was seriously thinking about that S&S flexible arm.

     

    I think that would go well with your idea of using this for snorkeling purposes, but using it just for snorkeling do you think there is enough ambient light near the surface to not really need a strobe at all? I just don't know how much benefit you'll see adding a strobe. I hope it all works out! :-)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.