Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nexus Ports and Lenses

Started by fchotika ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nexus Ports and Lenses

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm in the process of accquiring ports for my setup, a Nexus D100. When it comes to lens choice, I'm considering the Sigma 15mm FE for WA. On a DSLR with this lens, what is the angle of coverage? Does anyone know which ports that I can use for this? Can I use the compact wide port WP7 for it? It seems very compact for travel, vs buying the 170mm or 160mm dome. Additionally, the lens shade is built in, so I don't have spend additional $.

     

     

    For macro, I am considering the new Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro ATX Pro 1:1. Has anyone used this lens? It's a tad shorter than the Nikon 105mm, so the 60mm flat port + 40mm extension should work.

     

    Thanks,

    Chad

  2. The 15 is not compatible with the wide port.

     

    I recommend the new 160mm glass dome port or an Athena dome port (also glass) over the 170mm acrylic ports. Both are optically coated (no underwater manufacturer is coating an acrylic dome port that I'm aware of).

     

    Corner sharpness will be equivalent w/ either dome and the Sigma 15mm.

     

    The Tokina macrolens is about 1/4" longer than the Nikon 105 when both lenses are fully extended. It should still work in the 60m port + EXR 40, but will not accept a diopter. This will be an autofocus only lens, and the only way you can lock focus on your nexus d100 housing is with the MSC switch.

  3. Dear Ryan,

     

    I really appreciate the reply. Thanks for your help.

     

    Sounds like I would have to get the bigger dome anyways, unless I get the 10.5mm which I think is a bit too much lens for me right now. So perhaps the Nikon 12-24 or Tokina 12-24 would be a better choice, so I can use both uw and topside. Will the Tokina work with the 160mm dome +40mm EXR as well? I heard that use can use the 18-70mm zoom ring on it.

     

    For macro, I decided to get a used Nikon 105mm and focusing ring. Found a good deal on it. :angry: So I can use the 40 EXR with it.

     

    Additionally, for strobes, I have a YS90auto and a YS120Duo. Would these work? I guess will have to shoot in "M" mode. Should I get individual sync cords for each or the dual cord?

     

    Sorry for all the questions. Going on a trip in April. Will be the 1st time using a housed DSLR. I've only used a P&S in the past.

     

    Thanks and regards,

    Chad

  4. If you whant to use a 105 mm Macro is better, i think, to get a macro port for this

     

    For the Tokina 12-24 i think the NEXUS zoom gear 735 will fit but Ryan knows better..

     

    As for domes i have the 120 dome and i use it with my 10,5mm & 16mm (with a +1 diopter. Without a diopter the 16mm lens is not working. Forget what nexus webpages tell you!!)

     

    But as Ryan tell you best choices are the Nexus 160mm glass dome port or an Athena OPD 170 dome port

     

    I was lucky and have found one old Athena OPD 170 used port

    I think that the tokona 12-24 will work with a 30 extension and with a 20 extension u can use lenses as 24 - 28 -35.

     

    For 10,5 & 16mm you dont need a extension but if you go with big ports

    as 170mm you lose some angles ( ca 10-20 degress) with the 10,5

     

    Thats the reason i use my lite nexus 120 port.

     

    Hoppe thats help...

     

    Lambis

  5. Lambis,

     

    Thanks. The 160mm glass port sounds most versatile for me. I'll start with macro first for my trip. Got the 105mm in the 60mm port +40mm EXR.

     

    If the Tokina 12-24mm can be used with the same 40mm EXR it would be great. I read on the forum somewhere that you can use both the nikon 12-24 and 18-70 in the 160mm/170mm port + 40mm EXR (18-70 with +2 diopter), and 18-70 zoom ring on the Tokina 12-24.

     

    So that for a 3 lens setup, Nikon 105, Nikon 18-70, Tokina 12-24, I need only the following ports and accessories:

     

    160mm dome port + Shade

    60mm flat port

    40 Ext ring

    105mm focusing ring

    18-70mm Zoom ring to use on both 18-70 & Tokina 12-24

    +2 diopter

     

    And I would think that I can use either the Nik 10.5 or Sigma 15 FE in the 160mm port as well.

     

    Any thoughts? Really appreciate this forum.

     

    Chad

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.