Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ext. Macro lens needed for CP5000?

Started by jnsgonda ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Ext. Macro lens needed for CP5000?

9 posts
  1. Hello all,

     

    I know a lot of people on this forum are using the CP5000. I recently ran into a used Ike Housing for sale and the seller is using an external Macro conversion lens that he says greatly enhances the quality of the pics.

     

    It was my understanding that the built in macro system of the CP5000 was one of its strong points and no conversion lens was needed to get great macro shots. Further, I remember people taking macro shots even with the Nikon 19mm wide angle conversion with ikes dome port in place.

     

    Does anyone advocate using a macro conversion lens with the CP5000?

     

    Thanks,

     

    John

  2. I advocate it. Heck, it's probably MY inon macro lens making the rounds. Just a bit of trivia - I bought it from Ken Knezick and sold it to jaxdiver.

     

    The macro lens gives you more working distance to shoot macro w/ the 5000. The 5000 will focus down to like 1 inch - but let's face it, if you try to get that close, you are either going to:

     

    1) Bump your subject = BAD!

    2) Not going to be able to get enough strobe light into your photo

    3) Scare your subject away

     

    Here are some sample photos take w/ the macro lens:

     

    http://www.reefpix.org/modules.php?op=modl...=showgall&gid=3

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James,

     

    Thanks for the info.

     

    Just how much working room does the conversion lens give you? For example, the picture of the hiding blenny (?), how for away was the lens from the subject?

     

    John

  4. Probably about 6 inches, maybe 8. It's hard to remember. That sounds about right though.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Probably about 6 inches, maybe 8.  It's hard to remember.  That sounds about right though.

    If I were less mature, I'd have to make a comment about that sentence. :)

  6. If I can't remember, I can always checkit. :)

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Rotf

  8. You can get very good macro with the 19 mm lens and Dome port. An accessory macro lens may have the advantages listed above but the versatility and great optics of the 19 mm lens I think are much more of an advantage. I would never consider taking the camera UW without the 19 mm lens unless I was absolutely certain that I was only going to photograph very small and skittish subjects. Because of the 19 mm lens I prefer taking the 5000 down to taking my housed SLR unless I am certain of my subject type. :ph34r:

  9. You can get very good macro with the 19 mm lens and Dome port. An accessory macro lens may have the advantages listed above but the versatility and great optics of the 19 mm lens I think are much more of an advantage. I would never consider taking the camera UW without the 19 mm lens unless I was absolutely certain that I was only going to photograph very small and skittish subjects. Because of the 19 mm lens I prefer taking the 5000 down to taking my housed SLR unless I am certain of my subject type. :ph34r:

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.