Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Problems with Nikon DX10.51 fisheye

Started by Kimmeineche ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Problems with Nikon DX10.51 fisheye

10 posts
  1. Dear WetPixel members!

     

    About a week ago I've got a new DX10.5mm fisheyelens for my D200. It looks like a fine lens with great DOF and the correction-tool in Nikon Capture is a really nice feature.

    I do wonder if something is wrong with my lens, since I've discovered some strange red and green colors on a lot of pictures taken with this lens (looks like an old/ bad adjusted color TV.... maybe called "Abrations" or so???).

     

    In hope that someone can tell me, if my lens has any failures I've attached a resized picture and a crop of the problem......

     

    post-4011-1140866349_thumb.jpg

    post-4011-1140866389_thumb.jpg

     

    Best regards and thank you so far!

     

    Kim Meineche.

    www.photosub.dk

  2. looks to me like you have your WB set incorrectly.

     

    Just put it on Auto and see what you get to compare

  3. Hi Kim,

     

    The pinkish fringes in the first photo you attached (the crop) are strong chromatic aberration. Not good. This indicates a problem w/ the lens, or your camera, but it could just be a one-time problem due to the composition of this shot.

     

    Sorry I can't be more help.

     

    James

  4. Bad luck!

     

    The aberration is odd, and I've never seen anything like it, above or below the surface, with my 10.5mm on a D70. It suggests that something is out of alignment, so I would find a Nikon specialist to look at the lens and the camera body if it is still happening.

     

    I have found that PanoTools is more useful than the Nikon Capture correction, and can be set to reduce chromatic aberration (there's a good link from somewhere in Wetpixel, I seem to remember...).

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  5. Also, make sure you are set on autoficus. CA can look real when you have OOF situations in some cases. I suppose this shot could like like CA. :angry::blink:

     

    I agree, however, that if you are on full autofocus, something is awry. It is BEST that you have it all checked out simply for peace of mind if nothing else.

     

    Joe

  6. Hi Guys!

     

    Thank You very much for your fast replies! :-)

     

    I've cheeked the meta-file, just to found out that the WB was actually set to "Auto".

     

    The shot I posted was made by hard sunsetlight with a kind of purpel horizon.... I wonder if this could have increased the problem??? I've just made some more shoots indoor with incoming light from the windows (cloudy weather, not sunny at all.) with far less Abberation......

    High contrast areas in the corners shows a slightly abboration in the high contrast areas, when I zoom in hard.

    High contrast shots with 28mm and 105mm doesn't seem to be a problem.

    It also seems like the correction (NIkon Capture) makes the problem more visible so Thank You for the info about the PanoTools!

     

    To see if it can sort anything out, Ive made an appointment with another D200 owner. Tomorrow we will meet up to make some shots with both our cameras to see if there are any differences.

    If the problem continues, I better get it cheeked..... at least I will show the shot of the bridge to the Nikon Specialist Repaircenter and hear their sugestion.

     

    Best regards from Kim Meineche! :-)

  7. Hi again!

     

    My D200 fellow an me changed plans and meet tonight instead of tomorrow! Did some testshots on a tripod at my office with both the 10.5mm and my 16mm fisheye on both our cameras, set to A-priority with F2,8 and F8, just to see if the aperture has anything to do with the problem!

     

     

    Result: Exatly the same problem with Chromatic abborations on both cameras and both lenses (10.5mm and 16mm). The aperturesetting has no visible influrence.

    The 16mm shows slightly less chormatic abboration than the 10.5mm, probably due to it's slightly smaller field of view than the 10.5mm.

    The Abboration is obviously in high contrast areas (Like at the edge on the monitor and along the wires) if you crop to 100% or more.

     

    For those interested, I put a couble of files for download on my webpage, both in NEF and JPG as follows:

     

    http://www.photosub.dk/fisheyeproblem/10.5mmF8.jpg (About 1MB)

     

    http://www.photosub.dk/fisheyeproblem/16mmF8.jpg (About 1MB)

     

    http://www.photosub.dk/fisheyeproblem/10.5mmF2.8.nef (About 16MB)

     

    http://www.photosub.dk/fisheyeproblem/16mmF8.nef (About 16MB)

     

    Since the abboration is visible at both cameras with both lenses I don't expect anything to be wrong with any of the devices!

     

    Best regards Kim Meineche

     

    www.photosub.dk

  8. Hi Kim,

     

    This may be a problem w/ the D200 and blooming and not the lens. THen again, it could be that one of the lens elements is out of alignment.

     

    Cheers

    James

  9. Hi Kim,

     

    This may be a problem w/ the D200 and blooming and not the lens. THen again, it could be that one of the lens elements is out of alignment.

     

    Well, I really don't think it has anything to do with the lens, since the problem also shows when using my 16mm lens, which I have been using for years with my F90x and F100, but I can only say that I'm 99% sure.......

     

    If it's just a D200-thing i will be really sad, because I bought this camera for underwateruse and WA-wrecks are absolutely among my top-favorite subjects!

     

    Could anyone with the D70, D2x, etc. try to make a similar shot with the 10.5mm and/or 16mm to see if the problems continue?

     

    As mensioned lots of times, it looks like the problem is very close related to white and high contrast areas and as far I know, the contrast underwater is not nearly that high as well as the white colors aren't!?

     

    Regards Kim Meineche! :-)

  10. Just googled "10.5mm fisheye" and found a link to pictures taken with the D70!

     

     

    http://images.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

     

    Go down to picture number 13 and see..... even these pictures are quite small, it is obviously that picture number 13 has the chromatic abboration in the corners....

     

     

    Regards Kim Meineche!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.