In another thread, the topic of the depth rating of the housing (PT-015) came up, and it got me thinking about how deep people dive with camera gear.
What I'd really like to know is how deep people generally dive on average, what's the deepest you've taken a camera, and how deep would you consider taking a camera? Also, any stories about diving deep with or without photo gear would be cool as well.
This really shouldn't be turn into a macho "I can dive deeper than you can" discussion. There are definitely different issues at depth than at 30 feet, and I think it would be good to share them. I'm sure between all of us there'll be some interesting stories...
The two trips I took with my camera were to Truk Lagoon, and to Hatteras, NC. On both of these, I was travelling with a bunch of tech divers from NJ who don't do a whole lot of shallow reef diving.
My average depth was somewhere around 100-110 on both trips, which was definitely challenging. In Truk, my deepest dive with the camera was to about 135 ft, and narcosis definitely hit hard. Made it really challenging to do anything with the camera for sure. I opted not to take the camera on my deepest dive to the San Francisco Maru at 165 feet because we were diving with stage bottles (first time for me). Next time (May), I will bring the camera though, because that was one of the most amazing wrecks I've ever seen.
I'd share some "wisdom", but really I was right at the beginning of my learning curve and most of my pictures were a waste of digital media. ![]()
Anyone else?
Tom