Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm ID - NSW - Australia

Started by Dave H ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm ID - NSW - Australia

6 posts
  1. I'm pretty sure this one is for Leslie :P This worm thing landed in front of my face about two days ago, I think it was shot out of a sponge that I was photographing a nudibranch on! It was was about 5cm in length and I have no idea what it is...

     

    post-624-1141171613_thumb.jpg

     

    post-624-1141171667_thumb.jpg

     

    cheers,

    Dave

  2. My, that's an exceptionally beautiful terebellid polychaete! What happened? Did the sponge contract & spit it out? Anyway, there's no way I can identify it but... "Polychaetes: A Southern Synthesis" (I'm sure you know the series) has a photo by Katie Atkinson of a worm labelled Loimia ingens. It has the same beautiful color patterns. Maybe they're the same.

  3. Thanks Lesley, I'll chase up the Polychaetes DVD that is floating around work here somewhere! I had my camera on a sponge to photograph a nudibranch and the sponge contracted and spat the worm out at me! One you could say that I was pretty shocked when I realised I'd been shot at with a worm! :P

  4. Hi Lesley,

     

    your ID was spot on. Just had confirmation from one of our worm experts that it is most likely Loimia ingens. Thanks. :)

     

    cheers,

    Dave

  5. Good! Who did you ask? Pat, Robin, Chris, Greg,....?

     

    I sure wish sponges would spit worms at me!

    Edited by Leslie
  6. Dr Tim Glasby who liased with his brother who is a polychaete expert based at the NT museum.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.