Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nexus Macro Setup

Started by fchotika ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Nexus Macro Setup

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I just got my Nexus D100 and 105mm macro to start out. For ports I'm using the 60mm flat port with 40mm exr and focusing gear for the 105mm. For strobes, I have a S&S YS90 Auto and a YS120 and separate sync cables.

     

    I put everything together and I notice that with the port and focus ring combination, I have to select either AF or MF before closing the port. And thus I can't switch from AF to MF and vice versa u/w. Shouldn't be an issue as Manual focus sounds challenging to try. Thus if I use manual focus, do I need a focusing light? If so, besides using a port ring to hold it, would attaching 2 mini Q40's on top of the stobes work?

     

    For strobes, the YS90 has many levels of f stops to adjust, while the YS120 only has 3: full, 1/2 and TTL. Can't use TTL anyway, so I only have two settings. I use the YS90 as the main strobe. To fine tune the light output, I can only move the YS120 backwards or forwards. Is this the best way? Or can I use the YS120 in slave mode? Will it emulate the light out put form the YS90 when put in TTL mode?

     

    Any advice would ebe appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

    Chad

  2. Hi Chad,

     

    Some housings employ an AF-MF shift collar that fits over the lens and is actuated by using the zoom knob on the housing. It let's you twist the ring on the lens to switch back and forth. I don't know about Nexus, but I'm pretty sure they make one.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Hi James,

     

    I found out that with the regular flat ports, I can only use either a zoom ring or focus fing, and one at a time. There is only one zoom/focus control on the housing. Nexus does make an AF-MF selector, but I have to use the multi-port setup. I will make do without first. I tried using MF and actually, it may be better than using AF, just fine tune focus by moving slightly in-out.

     

    Can you help me with the focusing light and strobe setup question?

     

    Do I still need a focus light even with Manual focus?

     

    What's the best way to setup the YS 90Auto and YS120 strobes?

     

    Thanks,

    Chad

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.