I am going to Bonaire April 29th (my first trip there) and I am new to UW Photography..My set up now is D70s Ike housing Ike 125 strobe (one) and all I have now for a lens is the kit lens (18-70)......I want to get a lens before I go and I can only afford one right now. I am not looking to do macro right now and can afford about $500 -plus the port...So if you could only have one choice what would that be. As I see it right now My choices are Tokina 12-24, Nike 10.5, Nike 16, Sigma 15, Nike 60
I would also like to get some tips on Bonaire ie..dive sites, places to eat or not to eat, places to go and to stay away from Ecct...from someone who has been..I will be staying at Plaza Resort..did I make a good choice...is there a place you liked That I can check out for the next time I go.
Thanks In Advance
Geo
George,
I own the 10.5mm, Nikkor 12-24mm and the Sigma 15....considering your requirements I would get:
Sigma 15 for WA....very close focus, sharp and affordable....easy to use
Nikkor 60 for macro....versatile and sharp
Karl
Hi George-
I agree with Karl on the lens choices... you could also add a Woody's diopter to the 60mm and get a little more macro out of that setup..
Try to do the salt pier...some really cool critters hanging around and I've seen more than one award winning photo shot from this area..
Plaza very nice but I like Buddy Dive down the street a little better...they have a good night dive with lots of big tarpon that always make good subjects..
Have fun and post some photos!
M.
here is a link with pictures from cozumel that will give you a good idea on what the 18-70 and 60mm will give you..
If just 1, then (for Bonaire), the 60mm -- I found way more macro opportunities than WA.
My second choice would be either the Sigma 15 or Nike 16 for Bonaire -- though I expect you'll want a Nike 10.5 down the road.
All the best,
Chris
Salt Pier and Wreck "Hilma Hooker" nice for WA pics. Try Town Pier (permission needed) for good Macro and WA. "Alice in Wonderland" one of my favorite and "karpata" have a nice wall. Be carefull in the north side of the island, since a couple of year has been many breakins on the cars. Leave the car unlocked all time and nothing of value inside (not to scare you, just safety tips), most dive operators have a policy of no more than one tank p/p if you go north. Food is ok in most restaurants (avoid subway and KFC), about the service, just two words..... "ISLAND TIME".... and no really need to catch a boat dive, there is plenty of shore dives just as good as any boaty.
Everone shoots macro in Bonaire....
So go to Rappel, the salt pier or the Hilma Hooker and shoot wide-angle!
I have used a 12-24mm (a bit pricey) and the 10.5mm (a bit wide), but a 14-15mm would be pretty good, and Sigma seems to do a nice lens.
Tim
B)
I'm a big fan of Captain Don's Habitat and have taken many groups there. House reef & shore diving in general is spectacular and available 24 hrs/day, so no need to think only about boat dives.
Enjoy.....
My favorite restaurants are Casa Blanca, Old Inn, and Richards. All are close to the Plaza and good food and I don't find the service to be that slow compared to some other islands I've been to. My favorite sites are Bonaventure on Klein (you'll need a boat, the car won't make it ) Hilma, Invisibles, Red Slave, Town Pier and Salt Pier. Have fun, I'll be there in June!
I just returned from Bonaire. The macro scene is best but if you want macro go shoot the "Lady of the Lake" at The Lake. She is a 10' green moray that will pose for you. Great fun. (The Salt Pier is great but now requires a guide)
Tom
I just returned from Bonaire. The macro scene is best but if you want macro go shoot the "Lady of the Lake" at The Lake. She is a 10' green moray that will pose for you. Great fun. (The Salt Pier is great but now requires a guide)