On a night dive Julie spotted what looks like a sea spider. In the books for the caribbean I can only find Anoplodactulus sp. Can anyone ID this one? It was maybe 2mm small, found in the US Virgin Islands.
The little critter above it was an accident Didnt see it until i checked the photos afterwards.
Cor
There aren't a whole lot of pycnogonid specialists around & even fewer identified pictures for guidance the rest of us could use. I couldn't get family let alone genus on this; same for the amphipod. Sorry--
Leslie
Hi Lesie, no problem. Ive seen very similar sea spiders all over asia, and just wondered if it could be the same species, although this one was significantly smaller. Could be a juvenile though. I dont see sea spiders much in the caribbean so it was kinda cool to finally see one here in the USVI,
Cor
ps: any idea on the shrimp from my other posting?
There are hundreds if not thousands of species. You might see the same species over & over if you're always looking at the same host animals.
Odd... I answered your shrimp post earlier today but for some reason it didn't go through. It seems to be Trachycaris restrictus in the family Hippolytidae. The shrimp Marli mentioned, Lebbeus, is in the same family.