Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Re-Breather

Started by scottyb ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Re-Breather

3 posts
  1. Recently while on the Belize Aggressor, I did the "re-breather experience" offered by the captain. It was a brief description about setting up a Draeger Dolphin followed by an accompanied dive. It was actually less of a struggle than I had been lead to believe by several of my peers back home. After five minutes or so, I felt comfortable enough to meander through the canyons and swim-thrus. Having left my camera on-board, I began trying to approach fish as if I had a camera. While they seemed to mostly ignore me while swimming, they did become leary when I turned their direction as if to snap a shot, maybe to a slightly lesser degree than while on SCUBA.

     

    My overall impression is that it may be great for shooting large subjects but may not be a big advantage in Macro. Considering the cost and additional setup time required, would it be worth the effort. I personally would not consider purchasing one but would rent it instead. It would cost around $550/week on the Aggressor for the unit, scrubbing agent, and Nitrox fills.

     

    Has anybody used one for photography and if so what are your opinions?

  2. Rebreathers can be very useful when it comes to photographing sharks - especially hammerheads as the quietness of the system does not frighten them. However, sharks can become over inquisitive if there is nothing to put them off - the camera system then turns into a shield of sorts or even a weapon to fend them off.

     

    Regarding smaller fish: Approaching with a large plastic box on your back tends to intimidate fish, and its not the noise of scuba that puts them off but the size of the pressure wave you create in approaching the subject.

     

    Fish are by nature timid and wary of anything big enough to eat them. So with or without the extra bulk a slow approach and patience is more rewarding than the sudden quiet alternative.

     

    It should be noted too that the thyrister circuitry in your strobes has an effect on fish too: Especially sharks and rays.

     

    I recommend that everyone tries the Draeger SC units they are very nice in the water, but the larger bulkier more expensive 'Albatros' units should be steered clear of in photography.

     

    The Buddy inspiraration (Desperation) is a liability as there is little time to concentrate on taking pictures unless a buddy is observing your instruments for you - not likely. Also the predive and post dive care of these units leaves little time for attending to cameras, and As I found it I was worn-out within a couple of days and reverted back to scuba.

     

    My back has never recovered from using the inspiration as the ballancing act with lead placements generate a swimming position that wants to break your back in half. Swimming speed and duration is limited by this fact and the massive bulk. Try to swim against a current - NO WAY!

     

    I've often hovered above groups of people using these on holiday in the Red Sea and laughed my mask full at their uncomfortable progress.

     

    Another factor is the amount of people they have killed and injured...

     

    Hiring is the best option as transportation become a PITA and expensive.

  3. I agree 1000% with that Cybergoldfish.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.