Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dry lube vs "wet" lube

Started by Shasta_man ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Dry lube vs "wet" lube

3 posts
  1. Researching tapes finds that Panasonic tapes use a dry lube technology, while the Sony tapes appear to use a "wet" lube of some sort.

     

    I understand the idea of not mixing tapes, without cleaning, due to mixing these lube types, and I'll be sticking with one type only. However I'm wondering whether there is any problem with using the dry lube type in the Sony HC1 which Sony created "wet" lube tapes for?

     

    There has been favorable comments about the Panasonics on the board and I'm seeing that the Sony tape price is driven a lot by the name Sony. You can get a very high quality tape from Panasonic for 1/2 that of Sony. While I want to use good quality I also question whether I need to spend $12 everytime I want to put in a tape. I don't want to blindly follow Mr Sony but understand the differences.

     

    Thoughts?

  2. Here you are again Shasta Man.

     

    I replied to your other post but I use the Panasonics PQ pro quality tapes.

     

    Gone through a couple hundred of them over the years in my TRV900/ PD100 and around 70 in my FX1 and 3 in the A1 so far. No problems my end and cheap as chips. :)

     

    Looking at stuff I filmed with them back in 1999, the footage looks fine.

  3. Wagsy, you ol' wolf eel you...

     

    It's difficult comparing all this stuff because all the company info is in marketing speak.

     

    I think I'm going with the MQs. I want to choose something to use from now on. I'm thinking if I use a very high quality tape, then it ought to be as good as the basic Sony tapes.

     

    If not, I'll use the money I save to buy new heads in a few years!

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.