Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Lap Top Computer - THANKS !!!

Started by okuma ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lap Top Computer - THANKS !!!

4 posts
  1. My thanks to every one who responded to my request for recommendations.

     

    I took 16 criteria from this board and also UWPhoto and made a selection matrix of criteria important to me and went shopping.

     

    I had thought a Sony had good screen/color and would end up with one.

     

    Not so!

     

    After the smoke cleared, I ended up with a Sony and also a Fujitsu.

     

    Side by side there were 2 items that clearly moved the Fuji ahead.

    First the case was significently stronger. It was all metal as compared to the Sony that was plastic. The Fuji hinge has 5 connection points as compared to the Sony's 2. This could make a difference when falling of a rocking boat table or when someone falls onto the table. Also pushing on the back of the Sony case would cause distortion on the screen. Not so with the Fuji - this stronger case would be important when dealing with Mungo, the security screener!

    Also the Fuji had an independent video card cache as opposed to the Sony's shared configuration.

     

    However the screen/color is what blew me away as I have always thought the Sony was at the top of the pile.

     

    I made 2 CDs of the Adobe test image - the Carman Miranda picture and loaded them in the Sony and Fuji side by side at the same resolution settings.

     

    There was no comparision! Along side the Fuji, the Sony image looks almost pastel!

     

    Next, a couple of Nikon DX200 and L & M housings!

  2. You might have posted this but what Fuji model did you go with and do you know the weight? Looking at buying a new laptop also, thanks...

  3. I got a 15" N3500.

    1 gig mem (2x512), 100 gig H/D@5,000 rpm, 128m seperate video card.

    Weights 7.6 lbs. About 2.4 lbs. heavier than the Sony.

    It was discounted as new models are coming out.

  4. 7.6 lbs? Does it come with wheels? I got rid of a 5.5 lbb laptop because it was too d---m heavy to travel by air with.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.