Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

rust on rechargable AA batteries

Started by iainwilliams ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

rust on rechargable AA batteries

3 posts
  1. Hello:

     

    I've noted that I have some light rust on the positive terminals of the AA rechargeable batteries I use in my strobe.

     

    I've cleaned the rust off, however, I'm sure it will come back.

     

    Any ideas or solutions to keep the rust at bay?

     

    I was thinking of either a light coating of oil or o-ring grease to stop rust forming or getting worse. I'm not sure if this will interfere with the batteries themselves or the connection.

     

    Thanks....IAIN

  2. I wipe off my batteries when I change them because, invariably, salt residue builds up and causes rusting. I have some batteries in the same condition but they are still usable. I change my rechargeables every two years, toss em them bith the bullet by purchasing 40 more.

     

    Joe

  3. Hi Kelpfish:

     

    Yes I also wipe my batteries down after use - but these ones still rusted. :D

     

    Do know of a thin coating of oil or pertrolleum jelly/o-ring grease will cause problems for the batteries and/or strobe connectors?

     

    Like you I also replace batteries - but every 3 years.

     

    To ensure reliability I use my batteries on and off when not diving (GPS, etc) and try and maintain a full charge most of the time between dives. So far, no battery has failed me. :blink:

     

    Thanks....IAIN

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.