Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Seagrass fish

Started by mattdiver ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Seagrass fish

6 posts
  1. Anyone can help me ID this one?

     

    Spotted in a shallow seagrass area in Indonesia.

     

    I think it's a pipefish, but can't find a positive match in the books I have at home...

     

    post-4904-1142130030_thumb.jpg

  2. My feeling is that it is a Double-ended Pipefish. But I don't have any books here with me.

     

    Alex

  3. According to Kuiter's and Debelius's new book "World Atlas of Marine Fishes" it is a 'Sygnathoides biaculeatus', part of the pipehorses... can get as long as 30cm. anyone knows the common name?

     

    great pic and find... makes me want to look around here if we have them. (in yap)

     

    melody

  4. I think Alex is correct (though I was originally thinking Sculptured pipefish). Here's a link to some photos of double ended pipefish (bottom of the page) that looks like a close relatives:

    http://www.reefimages.com/Pipefish/Pipefish5.htm

    Marli

  5. 'Sygnathoides biaculeatus'= Double-ended pipefish

    However, Lieske and Myers Coral Reef Fishes has a Double-ended pipefish which is altogether different:

    Trachyramphus bicoarctatus. Those darn common names.

    Marli

  6. Thanks Marli. These photos look really close to what I've seen, right down to the egg clusters on the underside...

     

    Guess it's time to update my library :blink:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.