Someone on here once gave me some sage advice that went like this. Its not if your housing will flood, its when it will flood. Well, since my wife and I plan to take turns with the camera while on dives it was time we went to the pool together so I could help her with the functions of the housing etc.... Because its a pool I don't put the housing under without the camera, I just stand there and look at it as I submerge it for about a minute. I left my mask sitting on the table but submerged it and looked, what I thought was carefully, then handed the camera to my wife. I got out of the pool, grabbed my mask and returned. Put the mask on and found my housing about 1/3 full of water.
... I immediately turned it face down in the water and pulled it out. I held it face down until getting it too the table. While I removed it, then the battery and began CPR, my wife closed the housing again and took it into the pool where it was fine. I since have put the housing through some tests and it passes just fine. I can only think the camera wasn't seated correctly. <_< . I towel dried it and then we headed home. I placed it next to a hair dryer on low with all the compartments open for about 1/2 hour. Then placed it on a central heating vent where warm air could blow over it throughout the night.
The next morning I powered it up and it worked beautifully ![]()
![]()
While this won't help if its a saltwater flood, I thought my electronics background helped somewhat. I've had success in the past with flooded equipment by allowing it to dry thoroughly and then applying power only when I'm certain its dry.
These thoughts crossed my mind as my camera was drying overnight..
<ul><li>It would probably be a good idea to buy another camera as a backup. I'd hate for this to happen on the first dive somewhere nice. <li><li> Would flood insurance cover something like this?</li><li>I'm certain others on wetpixel have had similar experiences and it would be nice to hear a few stories.
Gary