Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Anyone know how to fix a notebook display?

Started by fairybasslet ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone know how to fix a notebook display?

5 posts
  1. I bought a Dell Inspiron to take with me on a trip so I can edit photos daily, but the display colors seem wrong. I have the display as bright as it can be, but images still seem dark. Also, the purple in a fairy basslet seems too blue.

     

    A graphic designer I work with told me to wait to fix the photos until I got home and use my desktop, which seems to be more accurate color-wise, but that kind of defeats the purpose of puchasing the notebook. LOL. I could just crop and delete out of focus stuff, but if anyone knows of any fixes for notebook displays, I'd be most grateful.

  2. Hmm, tricky as it's all a bit subjective. Have you tried calibrating with a Spyder?

     

    I think most pros would agree with the advice you have been given: save any serious editing until you can work on a large monitor. But, I have to say, I do the same as you!

  3. I have the same exact problem with my Dell XPS. The monitor colors are way wrong and there is no way to fix it through traditional ways. I doubt spyder will help either. I tried a basic color adjustment software and it told me something like "cannot find chroma coordinates"....something like that. I gave up and just wait until I get home.

     

    Joe

  4. I'm not sure about your particular model, but the vast majority of notebook allow only minimal adjustment to the display: generally only luminosity, some offer contrast adjustment, but that's it. So even with a calibration device, there's not much you can do to correct colours.

     

    Besides, background light conditions vary a lot in the field, but can be kept fairly under control on a desktop at home. So I'd go with Joe's advice and wait until I get home to make sure you get accurate colour rendition.

  5. @Fairy Basslet:

     

    When the colors ar so way of:

     

    1) Did you test it at home -> was it ok there

    2) Do you only have problems with pictures or are also the other colors (Windowsbackground color etc.) wrong

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.