Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Getting photos off a DVD

Started by mntlblok ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Getting photos off a DVD

5 posts
  1. I recently purchased an external DVD burner and a digital camcorder so that I could share video clips. Since I had learned to work a bit with burning DVD's, I decided to unclog my PC's and burn most of my photos to DVD.

     

    Now that I have them on DVD, I can play the DVD and see the photos via a slide show, but I can't find a way to get the photos off of the DVD and back onto a computer. I suppose I could hit "pause" and do a "screen capture", but I'm not sure that I would have the same thing that I had started with (a photo with the same resolution that was originally stored and could be manipulated with photo software).

     

    I'd like to be able to just click on a bunch of thumbnails and drag them to a folder on the computer, but I don't find a way to see the thumbnails. I'm afraid I now have the photos as part of just one big "DVD-type" file and I can't get at the photos anymore. It might be a "BUP" file. Help!

     

    Kevin

    Savannah

  2. I hate to break the bad news... If you created a video show of your pictures and deleted the originals, you may be out of luck. When creating a video slide show on DVD, the resolution on the images are reduced to TV resolution, which is relatively low (~500 vertical lines).

     

    You may want to look into an undelete utility to try to recover the deleted pictures from your hard drive. If you decide to do that, you won't want to use your computer much until you are ready due to the fact that any use can overwrite the deleted files you want to recover.

     

    In fact if you value the pictures enough, shut down your computer, take the drive out, set up windows on another HD, attach your old drive as a second volume and use the new windows install, plus the undelete utility to recover file off the old drive.

     

    Another much simpler option is to simply download and install

     

    WinUndelete

     

    Hopefully you will get some of your original image files back.

  3. P.S. If you have not emptied your recycle bin, all of your deleted pictures should still be there.

    Edited by TheQ
  4. Thank you, very much. At least now I know. My UW stuff was already saved on CD's, but some more recent stuff will be gone unless I can make the undelete thing work. I'll get my geek wife on it right away. :-) Thanks, again.

     

    I'm guessing that there is probably a way to back photos up on a DVD without screwing them up, eh?

     

    Kevin

  5. Yes you can save pictures to a dvd. In the DVD burner I suspect you selected some thing like "make a picture DVD" Instead select "make a DATA dvd" You can then save any type of file to the dvd incuding pictures and it will be just like you wanted. You can brouse though the thumbnails and select which files you want to copy back to the computer.

     

    ps. External hard drives are pretty cheap and a much more convienant way to store your pictures. Finding a picture on one of 50 DVDs takes forever.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.