Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon 16mm and digital cameras

Started by tdpriest ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 16mm and digital cameras

14 posts
  1. Can anyone out there help me?

     

    I have enjoyed using a 10.5mm fisheye with the amazing Anthis/Nexus 120 dome. The port compatibility chart on the NexusUSA website suggests that the 16mm lens should also work, but when I tried I couldn't get autofocus to work, and I haven't found suitable hyperfocal settings by trial and error in a swimming pool.

     

    I want a second lens to get narrower images and avoid cropping, and I want to take just the small dome to Bikini in May, because of the weight restrictions, and because I don't want to use a large acrylic dome near rusting metal.

     

    Has anyone used this combination? Advice?

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  2. Hi Tim,

     

    I would try contacting Lee at Marine Camera Distributors. He engineered a special dome/lens combo for that small dome. I think it requires a mod to the lens.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. tim

     

    I have use same setup as you

    The 16 mm lens work only with a 0,5 or +1 diopter with the amazing Anthis/Nexus 120 dome. I have it and i know...

     

    NexusUSA dont know what they write.. hehe

     

    You need one 0,5 mm or +1 mm diopter for the 16mm..

    Edited by motionsync
  4. ????? How do you mount a diopter on a fisheye lens? This is a new one for me.

     

    James

  5. You replace the filters that normally come with the 16mm lens with a diopter..

    So the diopter goes on the rear lens, u just replace the filters

    They work well with the 16mm and give excellent close

    focus.

    I have order my from Peter Rolands. Maybe he have still some becuace they are custom made.

  6. Removing the rear filter also allows closer focusing ... have you already tried that?

     

    For what it's worth, this lens focuses fine behind the Ike compact WA dome.

     

    Chris

  7. The 16mm need no diopters on my Athena 170 dome.. only in the Nexus 120 and removing the rear filter will not help on the 120. You need a doipter

  8. Thanks, Lambis: I will try to find a diopter.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  9. I think that it is worth mentioning that the 16mm works fine on all fisheye domes (that I am aware of) apart from the Nexus 120. So this is an isolated Nexus problem and should worry people who want to use this lens with other housings.

     

    From the title of the topic, this might be a bit misleading.

     

    Alex

  10. Alex is right.. the 16mm works great with all domes incusive my 170 athena

    The problem with the 120 dome is that is special designet for the 10.5

    So normaly this dome is only for the 10.5 & NOT the 16mm

    misleading information from Nexus USA have make this problem.. Anthis nexus original webpage say nothing about the 16mm compatiblility

    But anyway.. with a doiter the 16mm works. and you can use the small dome with 2 off the famous lenses..

  11. My apologies to The Doctor: a short title, and not intentionally misleading. I've had no trouble with a big dome, but am trying to be much more compact than normal for my trip.

     

    I have no idea how to get a diopter small emough to fit into a 16mm lens, and slightly surprised that it would work that close to the chip with the design of the Nikon fisheyes.

     

    I guess that I got suckered by the Nexus USA website, and got my hopes up. Images of bent wrecks, in a few months, I hope!

     

    This is what I was trying to minimise by working nearer the axis of the lens, using the digital crop with a longer focal-length fisheye.

     

    Tim

     

    B) post-4522-1143733346_thumb.jpgpost-4522-1143733372_thumb.jpg

    post-4522-1143733595_thumb.jpg

  12. Sorry Lambis, thanks Chris.

    Just back home from the swimming pool, midnight, British time. Autofocus to 35cm at f8 with the filter removed and the 120-7 Nexus/Anthis dome port.

    Expensive solutions are apparently unneccessary.

    Nexus was (almost) right.

    I have a vague recollection, now, of having heard this about the 16mm before, but I can't remember where.

    Thanks for everyone's contributions...

     

    ..but if I want to use a magic filter I'll have to go back to the big dome: a good job that Bikini is too deep to worry about colour in ambient light!

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  13. Tim,

     

    Super! Glad to hear it worked.

     

    Maybe you could just drop the magic in and hold it in place with the ring from one of the filters, with the element punched out? I've never used any of the other filters that come with this lens...

     

    Good luck!

     

    Chris

  14. Like chris say

     

    Magic between lens and filter. Works

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.