Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

New Book: The Underwater Photographer

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

New Book: The Underwater Photographer

17 posts
  1. I have posted a review on Martin Edge's new book:

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/book-review...r-photographer/

     

    I think that this book is an excellent resource. And luckily the book has lots of nice things to say about Wetpixel too (really! there are even URLs for specific discussions in this forum in the book).

     

    Anyway I just wanted to start a discussion on this important new publication.

     

    edge.jpg

     

    Alex

  2. Perfect!

     

    I have Martin’s Second Edition. It is an excellent reference.

     

    I had been hoping his third edition would have more digital references.

     

    I just wish it had come out about 5 months earlier – it would have made the winter season easier to pass.

  3. I just bought the 2nd edition!!!! ;)

    I wonder if Amazon will take a return........ lol

     

     

    it is a great book.

  4. My copy just came in from Amazon UK - first look - wow.

     

    This qualifies as almost a total re-write rather than 'just' another edition.

     

    Previously I got around to love the second edition after I had got over the film leanings ( I have never shot film UW ).

     

    This third edition has it nailed - it is now a 'must have' book.

     

    Paul C

  5. HI ALL,

     

    got mine at the dive show yesterday, & signed happy as Larry :)

     

    Also had a chat with Martin about his book,

     

    BTW I managed to get Alex's book to & he also signed it for me & had a

    chat. :lol:

     

    TWO GREAT BOOKS, BY TWO GREAT GUYS. THANKS.

     

    Andy

    :( :ph34r:

  6. yeah well i missed my flight to london so could not get to meet them and get my copies signed :) so had to order on amazon

    it will be for next time i guess...

    Edited by 3@5
  7. I just pre-ordered it from Amazon in the US. It won't be released here until May :lol: On the plus side it's only $25 with free shipping. The link Alex gave has it at 24 Pounds plus whatever they charge for shipping--nearly twice as much. So I'll wait.

     

    Funny thing. Amazon has this for pre-order but you can't find it when you do a search on the title or author. I found it only when I searched on "Underwater Digital Photography". Finding the second edition and clicking on the author's name didn't turn up this book. Here is the link and you can get behind me in the cue :) :

    Amazon

     

    I still think that his previous book is the best underwater photography book I have seen. I'm sure that the update will be even better.

     

    The film leanings didn't bother me at all. For DSLR shooters there really isn't much different about digital at the time you take the photo. The basics of photography still apply Once you learn those its easy to translate them into digital.

     

    For post-processing that is where digital is fundamentally different and "Digital Imaging for the Underwater Photographer" by Jack Drafahl, Sue Drafahl handles that pretty well. I don't know of another book that handles photoshop techniques specific to underwater photographs.

    Edited by UWphotoNewbie
  8. Ordered my copy direct from the publisher Thursday; it arrived Friday & I brought it out with me to Sharm on Saturday!!!!!

     

    Now sat in a bar in Na'ama bay reading the book & typing this ( the wonders of wirless internet, eh!). First impressions are great; this book really works for me as a relative newbie - but I'm sure it also helps at more experienced levels too.

     

    Some of Martins advice is present in this pic taken yesterday.....

    post-5660-1144401993_thumb.jpg

  9. the price is now $39.95 on Amazon in the US.

  10. Barnes&Noble has it for a few dollars cheaper than Amazon:

     

    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...84&itm=5&pers=n

     

    Edit: "But the delivery estimate is June 15" I wondered about that possibility. So, I cancelled by B&N $34 dollar pre-order and purchased from Amazon.uk. Total cost with shipping was $41.20 with estimated delivery 10days. :lol:

    Edited by meister
  11. I'm glad I ordered when I did. It still shows up in my shipping basket at $25. But the delivery estimate is June 15 :lol:

  12. If would imagine you could get copies sooner if you order from Amazon.co.uk

     

    You would have to pay more for international shipping - but you'd get your copies quickly!

     

    Alex

  13. Hey Alex.

     

    when can I get a signed copy of your book?

     

    -Larry

  14. I have been waiting to get copies of my book - which I paid for last week. And actually I am due to get some today (with luck)! The easiest way is to come to a talk I am giving. For example I am speaking tonight to the Bristol Underwater Photography Group in the UK! But I will also do something by post.

     

    Actually I think that Martin may do something similar with his book. It might be worth checking out his website:

    http://www.edgeunderwaterphotography.co.uk/

    Oh, I just had a look and for postage reasons that offer for Martin's book only applies to UK based photographers.

     

    Alex

  15. Thats OK alex , we'll just get you to handle the signing and postage downunder.

     

    I guess we will certainly have an obligation to provide a number ( renewable resourse ) of free drink cards and various other nubile forms as paymnet - never ending renewable bucket's or barrell's

     

    Just get them signed and downunder - i'll take care of the rest.

     

    peter :lol::):)

  16. On a serious note ( not that drinkcards and buckets and barrells is not sreious ) It would be great to have the copies that I already own of series 111 in Cairns - scibbled on........... Gotta love UPS delivery's ...just so damned effeicient

    Edited by pmooney
  17. This is and old post, but I just finished reading this entire book and must say that is the most complete that I read so far. I just wish that I had know that previous editions of this book were on the bookstores before... I probablly saved a lot of trouble when I started shooting underwater...

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.