Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Deep Water Color Correction

Started by RebreatherNut ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Deep Water Color Correction

5 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I have a little problem here with my deep water pictures I shot between 90 to 100 feet. I shot those pictures with available light and obviously I have tons of blue in them and they are dark.

     

    I didn't have any luck with fixing those pictures in Photoshop, I tried using curves, hue and saturation. But I was wondering if there is any other software out there that is able to enhance my pictures?

     

    Thanks for all your input.

     

    Best,

    RBN

  2. Hello RBN,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel....I'm afraid the only answer is....Strobes....it's too deep for filters and available light and there's not much any correction program can do without some light on your subject

     

    Karl

  3. Actually, depending on the subject and compostion, you can try a technique traditionally called plate blending.

     

    In Photoshop, you select the Red Channel (at the bottom right hand side). This should have virtually no information, based on your post.

     

    Then you go to the Image menu and select Apply Image. In source, select the green channel. In blending mode, choose Lighten, and for amount, select something between 50 to 80%.

     

    Redo the same thing by doing Apply Image with the Blue Channel as source, and 15 to 40% for Amount.

     

    Actual values to use for amount vary with each photo.

     

    You then reselect the RGB channel, which should give you a colour photo with little contrast.

     

    You can then use the Curves tool to correct the colours and contrast.

     

    This technique is pretty time consuming, takes a lot of fiddling to get it right, and is obviously not perfect, but it should help a fair bit. I'd try it on a few shots with large subjects first (e.g. wrecks).

     

    Good luck!

  4. If you post an example we might be able to give some tips.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.