Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

need help with some pics

Started by StonieJ ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

need help with some pics

4 posts
  1. A couple weeks ago, while in the Caymans, I took some underwater shots of fish, plants, and other critters. I have identified all but 20 of my 200 shots, so I was wondering if someone could help me out with the rest. These are NOT exotic or difficult fish to identify. They are pretty common and plain-jane. If I had access to a saltwater fish ID book I could probably finish it pretty quick, but I don't have one with me at the moment and I've been having trouble Googling them. Some of them will undoubtedly be repeats of the same fish. Also, if you don't see any obvious fish or animal in the shot, I am probably wondering about the identification of the plants or landscape features. I.e. what kind of coral is it?

     

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/008_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/101_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/105_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/108_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/111_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/112_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/113_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/125_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/128_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/142_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/165_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/173_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/177_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/181_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/183_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/192_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/199_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/204_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/205_sea_c.jpg

    https://webspace.utexas.edu/youngba2/www/210_sea_c.jpg

     

    Even if you can (or only want to) help me identify a couple, that would be great!

     

    Thanks

    Blake

  2. 008. Chub. There are two species which look nearly identical Kyphosus sextatrix or Kyphosus incisor

     

    101. Chub

     

    105. Yellowhead Wrass Halichores garnoti

     

    108. Christmas tree worm Spirobranchus giganteus growing in Brain coral Diplora stringosa

     

    111. Saddled Blenny Malacoctenus triangulatus

     

    112 Graysby (Grouper) Epinephelus cruentatus

     

    113. Star Coral Montastr(a)ea cavernosa

     

    125. Red Hind(Grouper) Epinephelus guttanus

     

    128. Red Hind

     

    142. Coney (grouper) Epinephelus fulvus

     

    165. Juvenile Longfin Damselfish Stegastes dienaceus

     

    173. Coney

     

    177. Juvinile Bluehead Wrass. Thalassoma bifasciatum and Brown Bowl Sponge Cribochalina vasculum and Gargonian/Sea Rod Pseudoplexaura sp.

     

    181. Sand Tilefish Malacanthus pulmieri

     

    183. Bicolour Damsilfish Stegastes partitus

     

    192. Red Hind

     

    199. Red hind

     

    204. Fish Could be one of several species of damsilfish in Genus Stegastes Really need a show of the side to tell which species. Given the bad angle and that the fish is out of focus I am not going to hazard a guess as to which species. The Coral in background is Star Coral Montastr(a)ea annularis

     

    205. Right = Schoolmaster Snapper Lutjanus apodus Left = Caesar Grunt Haemulon carbonarium

     

    210. Redspotted Hawkfish Amblycirrhitus pinos

     

    Whew, thats a lot of ID's. Need any more ;)

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Here goes with the fish:

    008- Bermuda chub

    101- Bermuda chub

    105-looks like a juvenile bluehaed wrasse, but it is deformed or damaged. Not sure on this one.

    108- Christmas tree worm (not a fish, but pretty easy)

    111- saddled blenny

    112- Graysby

    125- Red Hind

    128- Red Hind

    142- Coney

    165- Juvenile Longfin Damsel

    173- Coney

    181- Sand Tilefish

    183- Bicolor damselfish

    192- Red Hind

    199- the angle makes this difficult. Could be a juvenile Rock Beauty. Not sure.

    205- at the back, Blue striped grunt, front, Schoolmaster

    210- juvenile Redspotted hawkfish

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  4. Blake,

     

    OK, I have no pride so I'll go out on a limb on #204.

     

    I think it is a sunshinefish (Chromis insolata).

     

    Of course the side profile would help to be positive.

     

    Why do I think so??? It just looks like one........., and after 600 surveys IDing TWA fisheys underwater you get used to the subtle differences, even from the front. There is that phase of sunshinefish with the transparent rear dorsal & edge of tail, and without the blue line between the eyes, that is quite common in Cayman - or it could be between the juv phase and that phase, but I am sure it is a sunshinefish (Chromis insolata), the front profile does not look like a damsel and even less like a juv angelfish.

     

    But, ***disclaimer*** it is just my opinion!! :)

     

    Best, Carol B)

    Edited by seagrant

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.