Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 14mm - Fix for flare probs

Started by james ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 14mm - Fix for flare probs

8 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    Since many of us use the Sigma 14mm EX lens for wideangle, I thought I'd post a tip I came up with to help reduce flare.

     

    Since the front element of this lens sticks out so far, it often catches stray light which causes starbursts and flare spots in your shot. When a lens flares, it also ruins the color and contrast in the shot as well.

     

    The built-on hood that comes with the 14mm lens is woefully inadequate, and hoods that housing manufacturers put on their domes are either non-existent (UK Germany 6") or too small (Ike extended dome). So this is what I made for my setup:

     

    sigmahood.jpg

     

    Since the digital SLR only shoots through the center of the lens, you can make the lens hood MUCH longer.

     

    I used a strip of black cardboard (ok, so it has writing on it, I was desperate) which I wrapped around the lens and stuck together w/ electrical tape. Before fixing it down with electrical tape, slide it out while looking through your viewfinder. When you start to see cardboard, start cutting. You will see it in the corners first of course.

     

    Keep moving it out and cutting the corners until you start to see it at the sides of the viewfinder. Then take a shot and check it on your computer. If you can't see any vignetting, then fix the lens hood in place. Check the fit in your dome port. If the cardboard hits, then cut it back (careful, don't scratch your dome).

     

    Once I get the "jig" perfected, I intend to cut one of these out of aluminum roof flashing (can buy at Home Depot) and paint it matte black. It will become a permanent fixture on my lens.

     

    For those of you using the Ike housing for the S2, take electrical tape and wrap it around the smaller diameter "tube" on your extended dome port. This will keep light from coming in there, and bouncing off the inside of your dome into the lens.

     

    Hope this helps!

    James

  2. Wow. Who said you never learned anthing from Blue Peter!

     

    Could we be looking at a housing from a washing up liquid bottle next?

  3. So James, when are you going to start selling the aluminum version of this lense hood? :)

     

    Looks great!

    Tom

  4. You can buy these premade from FlexHood for a variety of lens/body combos.

  5. FlexHood??

  6. That is very nice, are they sold via B&H as well?

  7. I think you buy these direct through their website only.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.