Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video Interlacing

Started by shawnh ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Video Interlacing

12 posts
  1. I have been doing some straight exports of my HDV edited content out of Final Cut to Quicktime (in high res). It is exporting at 1920x1080. When I play back on my monitor or an HD TV set (via DVI to HDMI connector) the interlacing is very obvious. I could use some insight as to why this is happening. My DV content did not show the interlacing in the past. Is it possible to export at 1920x1080 and have it view nicely on a set via DVI or do i need to down res to 720P or something?

    -shawn

  2. Hi

    Are you using compressor or straight export out of FCP? Playing back off the comp will usually show more interlacing due to the progressive signal from the graphics card.

    You have to either deinterlace or playback from your HVR. It shouldn't show up on a HDTV output from the HVR. If it is then you are not rendering right.

  3. I exported the first time just using the straight export. I am now using compressor and it has taken forever to render! I have not tried rendering back to tape but i will do this as a back up of my projected. Thanks and i'll let you know how it wroks.

    Shawn

  4. Shawn

    Compressor is supposed to be UB too. Have you checked your settings? I've tried rendering from a Mactel and it is faster rendering in the timeline. Then exporting out as a full file. Are you rerendering again or rendering out to a different codec? Sorta lost at what you are trying to do. HDV while 1440x1080i will playback at 1920x1080i on a HDTV. If you try to rerender out as another codec, it will take longer of course.

  5. Drew,

    I have settle on rendering a 720P QT movie from FCP. I then use Compressor to convert this to Mpeg to for SD DVD. For direct playback, i iwll try DVI to my Hdtv using the 720 QT file. As it turns out, if I go straight to compressor form FCP, it is 4 to 10x slower than going straight to QT. Nick J has experienced similar issues. Any other thoughs?

    Shawn

  6. Ok

    Are you rendering then exporting into a reference file or self contained mov? Apparently in some machines (non FCP rendering only machines) there are issues with exporting from FCP to Compressor. The manual sez FCP to compressor has rendering benefits but seems if you are having trouble, don't do it.

    Render a complete movie then batch that movie via compressor direct. Also if you have the old compressor presets installed... delete them.

  7. Drew,

    Good advice...really appeciate it. So here is the money question:

    I think I am all set on creating hiqh quality SD DVDs from my HDV FCP files. Now i want to also create a super high quality HD file...best possible for compture to hd TV playback (i have a flat panel with 1920x1080 resolution).

     

    In QT export, I have three pieces to consider (plus some options). I have heard that 720p is better than 1080i and that 720p60 is even better than 720p30. Currently I am doing the following:

    Frame Size - HD720 (960/720)

    Pixel Aspect - HDV1080i (1440x1080)16:9

    Options checked: Anomorphic

    Compression - HDV 720p30

    I was wondering how to do even better. Pixel Aspect is fixed b/c the media is 1440x1080. Compression doesn't seem to offer better options than 720p30 (is there a way to do 720p60). But Frame Size must be able to be improved upon. Can I do 1920x1080 and if so, do i need to do something with the ratio, with anomorphic? My tests either yeild unsupported or weird aspects after render.

    Bottom line, given I am editing native HDV for now and using FCP to edit. What QT export setting will yeild the highest quality, highest resolution HD video?

    Shawn

  8. HI Drew / Shawn.

     

    I'm on a PC using Premire Pro but I do know that encoding straight from a HDV timeline to a DVD mgeg 2 spec file gives better results than encoding to a QT or AVI file then encode that file to a DVD mgeg 2 spec file.

     

    Also I have found with Procoder 2, I can encode straigth out a progressive DVD file from the timeline which is better quality than interlaced.

     

    For high quality play back QT H.264 1280/720 progressive plays very well. I can encode these straigth out of Premiere - HDV 1440/1080 using Procoder. H.264 is sharper than wmv or divx files.

     

    One has to manually tweek Procoder abit to do it as it's not in the templates anywhere.

     

    Wags

  9. Wags,

     

    Thanks for the input. I was using Premiere Pro prior to switching to Final Cut. I never tested HDV with Premiere so I don't know much about it's workflow in that area. I will take a look at the H 264...but isn't this used for more compression?

     

    s

  10. Ah so you want DVD with HD quality? Well, the best way is to buy one of those JVC SRDVD100U which has HDV playback. Look for the thread somewhere in this forum, we talked about it a bit.

    Then just burn a DL DVD with m2t (hdv) and you can playback on as big a screen as you have.

  11. Only thing is you cannot get much length on a normal DVD using m2t.

    But if you can feed the signal from your computer to the TV then just keep it in m2t.

     

    H.264 at a high rate looks great. I went to 1280/720@ 7mbps.

    Here is a link to a 360 meg file for a look.

    Right click and save to desktop

     

    Wags

  12. Thanks guys...i'll give this a look see and let you know what I find out.

    shawn

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.