Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Need and ID

Started by kriptap ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Need and ID

7 posts
  1. I was told once before what this shrimp like creature was but can't remeber what it was. It is about 1MM insize or slighly less than a pin head, it lives in this Solitary Gorgonian Hydroid. Does anyone know?

     

    CAY8443.jpg

  2. Yes, it's an amphipod which might be both commensal and undescribed. I passed around copies of Alex's earlier posted images to various 'pod and hydroid experts and not one of them knew about the association. Every single one of them suggested that a few specimens would be extremely helpful!

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...967&hl=amphipod

  3. Thanks that's the thread I was looking for, I showed them to Alex last time he was here but I didn't have the magnification to shoot one then, found another today and did.

  4. That's a very clear shot, Patrick!

     

    Awesome.

  5. Yes, great shot. What were you using to get that amount of magnification?

  6. My guess is that it is a 100% crop from a shot taken at 1:1

     

    Gotta love what you can do with 12MP...

  7. William your always so right. Yes dave it's a 100% crop, it would print a 8x10 but that's it, I have an idea to get even closer and much sharper, I'll be sure to post it when I get it. Oh I used the 105mm and a + 3 closeup lens.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.