Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worms, worms, worms ! part 2

Started by Art ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Worms, worms, worms ! part 2

7 posts
  1. Hi again

     

    any ideas about these flatties ?

     

    the last one is - I think - Thysanozoon sp

     

    the black one with spots looks like Pseudoceros something

     

    the others - no idea :lol:

     

    Art :)post-1504-1144594131_thumb.jpg

  2. No idea, but I know someone who does and I'll send them off to her. No, not Leslie Newman..... How did you preserve them? Marian will probably want to see the specimens.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. I have the following just in from one of Marian's protoges:

     

    "I am pretty sure about the first one, it is Pericelis cata. About the

    third one the genus is Prosthiostomum and it could be P. evelinae or P.

    punctatum but I need to know about the color pattern (yellow, brown or

    white spots)and eyes arrangement. The last one definitely is

    Thysanozoon but the species is hard to identify just with a picture."

    --Jon

  4. Got some slightly different ids from Marian and I don't know who to follow. Obviously we need to hand over the specimens for definitive id.

     

    "Image 1: no idea, need the specimen

     

    Image 2: Pseudoceros or Pseudobiceros. One of my former grad students has found this one in Mexico, too. But we need to see the ventral side to make sure we know how many male pores there are. We would like to have specimens of this.

     

    Image 3: Enchiridium periommatum. We would love to have ethanol preserved specimens. We have E. evelinae in the Caribbean and we think they are actually the same species. That Marcus and Marcus have redescribed the Pacific form as a new species.

     

    Image 4: either Thysanozoon or Acanthozoon. Again, we would really like to have the specimens."

  5. aha !

     

    it looks like things we believe to be most common actually are quite interesting for many people

     

    I have all 4 specimens in ethanol, and I think most of them were in good shape after that (sorry, no time for "special flatworm preservation technique", explained to me by Marian)

     

    for the long yellow one, I attach a close-up

     

    Art

  6. oops, forgot to attach the photo

     

    here it is:

     

    post-1504-1144694556_thumb.jpg

  7. I'm going to join some of Marian's students in Jamaica at the end of May. Can you get the specimens to me before then? Or do you want to directly send her the specimens?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.