I was having a problem getting Photoshop CS to display the proper Camera Raw dialog box when I opened a NEF. I thought I'd share so this problem doesn't bite anyone else.
After Installing Camera Raw 2.4 plugin, when I tried to open a NEF file an abreviated dialog box would come up that allowed me to only boost the exposure or change the white balance to one of several pre-set settings (only daylight, cloudy etc. no color temperature value control). It read the files ok and after making the two selections and continuing you could work with the files. But you lost most of the control over the NEF file that you normally have.
I couldn't after several hours figure out what was wrong. I tried downloading several versions of ACR. Photoshop showed that it was running the correct version of the plugin. I discoverd the propblem on the Adobe website. Another plugin was somehow stepping on the ACR plugin. Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi was I think placed there by Nikon Capture and was causing a conflict. Re-naming this file restored my photoshop functionality.
Anyone know why Nikon Capture puts this there? Its really a problem. I'm re-building my system and didn't experience this problem last time since I installed photoshop after I installed Capture.