Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma EX vs original Canon Lenses

Started by Simon K. ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma EX vs original Canon Lenses

2 posts
  1. Because I want to buy a D60 in the next 1 or 2 years im' thinking to allready buy some lenses for my Analog EOSes (which I only use over water)

     

    If rad that a lot of you are using the Sigma 14mm EX and are happy with it.

     

    What im looking for is a 14mm, a wideangle zoom, an a 100mm Macro (maybe also a 50mm macro) (no i won't buy them at once ;-) )

     

    The price differences are very big. (All Prices in € but € : $ is nearly 1:1)

     

    Canon                           Sigma                                     € Canon        € Sigma       € Differences	% less
    EF 14/2.8 L USM            14/2.8 EX                                 2.474,00       797,00          1.677,00        67,78%
    EF 16-35/2.8 L USM       15-30/3.5-4.5 DG Asph EX         1.878,00       656,00          1.222,00        65,07%
    EF 100/2.8 USM Macro   105/2.8 Macro EX                     636,00           414,00         222,00           34,91%
    EF 50/2.5 Macro             50/2.8 Macro EX                      369,00           323,00         46,00             12,47%
      	 
                                                                       Together	5.357,00         2.190,00      3.167,00          59,12%

     

    How big is the quality difference?

     

    Since I also use them on surface also speed and how noisy they are is important.

     

    Thanks Simon

  2. Simon,

     

    I don't shoot Canon, I shoot Nikon, but I went through the same decision that you did.

     

    On a high-end digital SLR, the quality of the lens DOES matter. But does it matter $1,500? :)

     

    I decided to go with the Sigma 14mm EX and it does the job. It has good color, sharpness, and contrast.

     

    For my macro work and wideangle zoom, I decided to go w/ Nikon glass because I can afford to at that range and it's worth the money for an ultra-sharp macro lens.

     

    Perhaps Eric will chime in when he returns from the Coral Sea and NZ.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.