Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Aspect Ratio question...

Started by scubachef ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Aspect Ratio question...

3 posts
  1. Went to the Phillippines with my Fuji f810 and Ikelite housing and strobe, got a lot of good pictures both below and above the water. Digital was so great for a first time underwater experience, I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to learn what I needed to know without being able to see the results right away. Lots of respect for the film folks! Anyway, once I spent some time editing and cropping for better shots, I sent everything off to Costco and was very disappointed to find that ALL of the shots were cropped to fit into the 4x6 aspect ratio. I did not realize this earlier, or would have been a lot more careful in my editing. I also checked with Wolf Camera, they say their system would do the same thing. Is there anywhere to send my images where they will be printed as they have been set up by me? I would be happy to cut some white paper off where necessary, if that was what I needed to do.

    Thanks as always for your help, and please see attached my favorite Anenomefish shot!

  2. I had this problem also, for long time I didn’t found a lab that can print with 3:4 ratio.

    The solution was with a lab (local online service) that offered a 4:6 ratio but you can choose if you want to crop the image or add extra white margin on the long size to get the 4:6 ratio, then of course you have to cut it at home.

    If you can't find such a service, you can add the extra margin by Photoshop or other image software.

  3. That's pretty much it. Unless you use a custom printing company, everyone uses standard paper sizes. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 - all require cropping or trimming the photo later.

     

    Alternatively, check to see if you camera will take photographs in the 3:2 setting. I ended up just setting up my Coolpix this way.

     

    Cheers

    James

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.