Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Almost Amphiprion thiellei.

Started by cookmedoc ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Almost Amphiprion thiellei.

5 posts
  1. We photographed this one in Sogod Bay, southern Leyte, the Philippines.

     

    Its colors are close to A. thiellei but it also can be a freakish A. perideraion.

     

    Also in Sogod Bay, we photographed what may be our first Philippine A. percula.

     

    Go to possible A. thiellei: www.poppe-images.com

     

    Go to first A. percula: www.poppe-images.com

     

    926929.jpg

     

    927464.jpg

     

    For color variants of Amphiprion go to: http://wish.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/~kwaldon/species.htm

     

    greetings

     

    Guido

  2. A. thiellei is usually considered a hybrid rahter than a true species. Thus A. thiellei or freakish A. perideraion are probably equally accurate ID's.

     

    As for the percula, the posted picture is a bad for the purpose of an ID , but the other pictures in your gallery look much more like an A. percula.

     

    Nice shots of some unusual fish.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Cool shots. I have been shooting for, oh, say a lot of years and I still lack a good claowsifh shot. :lol:

     

    Joe

  4. Hi,

     

    I used to keep a pair of similarly marked clownfish in my old aquarium. They were probably A. leucokranos - a probably hybrid of A. clarkii and the orange skunk (can't remember species).

     

    They bred every week but they young were extremely weak. I was hoping to do some genetic testing but never got a fry big enough to get a sample.

     

    In any case, I think the clown in your photo is probably A. leucokranos.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. I agree with you guys, this is some kind of hybrid. Since color in hybrids varies a lot, I would just leave it identified as Amphiprion sp. The second one is A. percula.

     

    Luiz

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.